Aluminum ERIE kettle

MikeZ

Here's an interesting early aluminum piece, that I can't find any info on. Page 72 of the Blue Book shows an iron bulge kettle that's a match for this one, including the early bail ears and how the bail locks up for pouring. I can't find the number listed anywhere. I assume the third digit is a 9, although it doesn't appear there was more to the numeral than the top circle. The aluminum listings in both books don't even come close.

The kettle is 6" high and 8 1/4" in diameter at the top. The exterior is in great condition but the interior is quite pitted. The iron version is dated as the 1880s. Could this one be that early?

Attachments

• Erie Pot 1.jpg
    Erie Pot 1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Erie Pot 2.jpg
    Erie Pot 2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 25
Not much help from this end. Maybe Doug will chime in and give some good info.
Did see on page 320 BB a 2399 listing for the C.I. version (8 QTS). Kind of makes sense that a 2396 would be smaller in size (4 QTS) perhaps but since your piece is Aluminum I just don't know. I know in some instances that Wagner & Griswold repeated numbers for both iron and aluminum but there again not sure of your piece. BTW...Aluminum pieces were around during the time period the "ERIE" logo was being used so I'm sure it is a legit piece.
Good luck with your cleaning.

Back