Seasoned Camp Oven

MDFraley

Had posted a thread in general cast iron about a week ago trying to find some info on this old camp oven. No one seemed to know much more than I had already suspected so I decided to clean it and season it and below are the results. The bail is still in my e-tank...It was a bit out of shape and had to do a little work on it but other than that all turned out good.
Enjoy...
http://imgur.com/a/ZdMjv

You were able to bend the bail wire out of the holes? Is there any danger in doing this?
I would like to add some missing bail wire and rings to some pots that I have. Maybe take it off cracked ones and put them on the good ones.

You were able to bend the bail wire out of the holes? Is there any danger in doing this?
I would like to add some missing bail wire and rings to some pots that I have. Maybe take it off cracked ones and put them on the good ones.

Valery...The bail on this particular piece is about twice the diameter of bails found on D.O's and the like which makes it VERY hard to bend thus the manufacturer did opposite bending techniques so that the bail can easily be removed and inserted without having to open up the bail where it attaches to the pot. It's a simple "U" type bend and not a closed loop. Bonnie was so kind to attach my previous pic's before I cleaned it in her reply before yours and if you will open up the link in her reply and go to the second picture you will see the bail connection to the pot and the "U" type bend referenced. On the opposite side the "U" bend goes the opposite way. This allows it to be attached to one side and then swing the bail 90 degrees and attach the other end. Probably sounds complicated but it works like a charm.
On my lesser thick bails I simply take two sets of needle nose pliars ...open the closed loop and remove the bails for cleaning or replacement. I just copied the picture I was referencing so you won't have to go back and forth between threads.

http://imgur.com/4Z9ZtDq

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I now have a plan!

Just keep in mind that if your piece has a closed loop connection on the bail you need to replace it with the same connection. This will insure that when you tip the piece to empty what you have cooked, the bail will remain attached and not slip off the hole it's attached to. The bail wire on waffle irons is basically used to lift it on and off the stove but I have noticed they all have the closed loop configuration so be sure to keep it as such.

Back