Griswold square cast iron skillet 768

TaraP

I wanted a square cast iron skillet and purchased this one. Can someone please tell me about it? Date of manufacture etc?

Thanks! Tara:p

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 4.50.56 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 4.50.56 PM copy.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 4.50.46 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 4.50.46 PM copy.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 30
I have seen a Griswold ad for your skillet with a glass cover and a stamped aluminum bacon press that came with it.

I also don't see the pan in a 1942 Griswold catalog or 1950 price list. Was it made for only a short time right after WWII perhaps or not a regular item in the catalog or I just don't have the right catalog that shows the pan.

I think the first version is what you have, the Square Utility Skillet. That was followed by a name change to Square Fry Skillet. There also was an iron cover made for these pans. The ones I have seen are marked, if I recall correctly, Square Fry Skillet Cover rather than "Utility". Maybe I have it backwards?? Did the glass cover come after the iron cover, or the other way around? Were both covers offered at the same time?

There is another Square Fry Skillet that came later, c.1955-57, had the handle on a side, the late, large TM, and the Nos. were 2103, 2106 and 2108. The two covers fit the No.8 size of those later pans. What can you add or correct Doug or anyone?

The BB only shows it as a "Deep Square Fry Skillet" (1960s, ~$50), and makes no mention of the "Utility" marked version. The Harned book shows the pan in this same variation, but the printed information accompanying it is of little help.

The Blue Book does not cover these square skillets very well nor the other ones shown on pgs. 42-43. I can see them missing the Square Utility Skillet version since it's not nearly as common as the identical Square Fry Skillet with both having p/n 768.

I don't see how they would say c.1960s for the two square pans on p. 43 at the bottom. They are marked ERIE, PA and have a Griswold pattern number and, when the book was written, they were well known and anything but rare. Those square skillets would not be "deep" square skillets as they are basically the same depth as regular skillets. Deep Square Skillets were made by Wagner like a square chicken fryer.

The squarish pans, top of p. 43, are modified Wagner patterns and would be c.1960s with no "real" connection to the real Griswold. The Chef skillet top of p.42 is, likewise, a Wagner modified pattern with no connection to Griswold.

The Square Fry Skillet center of p. 42 is a real Griswold and likely made c.1955-57 in three sizes with no covers made for them (my belief) but the 769 cover made for the 768 square skillet fits it perfectly but I bet it was never sold at the same time.

Back