Show & tell 4-19-13

JMoss

When I joined the forum Doug D. suggested I post "Before & After" photos. Some of my new acquisitions were already in the lye bath so I didn't get before shots of them, others I did. This is my attempt to share them.

I have included purchase prices for most of the items because I want find out if I am overpaying. Your comments would be appreciated.

Special thanks to Doug D. for the post on how to link your photo albums. I couldn't figure out the RSS link in my version of Picasa but if you copy and paste the URL you will get to the photos.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11839214 ... wq2Wm4y1LA

https://plus.google.com/photos/11839214 ... lLLAgrz-eQ

I've added a bbcode that currently works to display Google + user slideshows inline in a forum post. The Photo Posting Tutorial has been updated with instructions.

In the first group,

The 3/$10 is a BSR Red Mountain lid (I have two, and that's the later style handle), and 2 post-1960 Lodges, which don't look to have been polished, but I have a #10 like them that eventually seasoned up fine.

I think you did real well on the Griswold DO, even with the little bit of pitting, and the corn bread skillet, it's a BSR, which is the originator of that design.

That is an unmarked Wagner, post early-1960s.

On the Lodge, it's not really ghost marks, but accumulated quality control stuff. I picked up a #10 of that vintage for $10 and the cooking surface is slick as glass.

Those Wagner Ware, no Sidney, Made In USA can often be found polished, so should not be dismissed as they are potentially good users.

Any time you can get a vintage pan with a polished cooking surface, that's not damaged and is restorable, for $5 or less, you're doing OK.

In the second group,

I still would have gone $20 even without the import or the fajita pan.

The BSR lid is actually an import copy. All BSR lids have pour spout ears.

The #3 BSR has the quality control screwhead mark (post automation, pre-early1960s).

The old Wagner DO is neat, even if kind of rough.

Thanks Steve.

It took a few pans having to be redone before I realized one must follow Doug D.'s instructions EXACTLY.

I think the temptation to lay seasoning on thicker than necessary is normal, until you figure out it actually makes things worse. I can't tell you how many pieces I've bought with that gooey "patina" that I immediately dunked in the lye tank when I got them home.

It's true you have to find what works best for you and stick with it, once you are sure you can achieve repeatable good results. Of the several hobbies I've indulged in over the years, that's been true of every one.

Back