wow... hit another auction today

D_Madden

ok, I bought some stuff... and I'll post pics later... but this auction had over a hundred pieces of cast iron... mostly wagner and griswold. I saw a #13 sell for $1500... and #20 sell for around $500, a #15 oval fish skillet sold for about $200... lots of dutch ovens and waffle irons and scotch bowls... I got an "ERIE" #8, a Favorite #10, a Tecumseh #8, a corn/wheat stick pan, two griswold mail boxes, and a #8 griswold American waffle iron and base... I passed on two of the brownie golf ball pans... really hoped to get one of those. I'm exhausted.

I still need to find a Griswold brownie "golfball" pan. I had one once, for a day. Before I returned it. Cracked. The seller thought a padded manila envelope was sufficient to ship it in.

well... if I were smarter or more bold I could have had one to share. The auction people didn't know what they had... they included the two brownie pans in with about 6 other oddball pieces and then ran the bidding for choice of the bunch... I went to about $60 and stopped... the other bidder knew exactly what was there and he was the one who bought the #15 fish skillet and a couple of other higher dollar items and he won and took both of them... and it was about the last cast iron of the sale... so I had already spent more than I had planned on... but I have a beauty of a cornorwheat pan... #272. whoever bought the #13 slant logo was from Springfield IL.. they were bidding over the phone.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=2856624

oh... double broiler pan.... that went pretty high also...

Sounds like you had a blast. I've been to several of those kind of auctions, but always find that it draws lots of collectors, who aren't afraid to pay "collector" prices. I'm a real cheapskate, so I usually only pick up a piece or two at these kind of auctions, lol.

Sounds like you had a blast. I've been to several of those kind of auctions, but always find that it draws lots of collectors, who aren't afraid to pay "collector" prices. I'm a real cheapskate, so I usually only pick up a piece or two at these kind of auctions, lol.

yeah, I'm afraid at this point in time I'm just picking through the scraps that the big money isn't interested in... but my mother in law wanted one of the mailboxes... and we got it for $50... and then bought another for $45... and the waffle iron for $35... and a couple of the skillets for $10 each... I bought the square #768... just because I already had the glass lid for it... probably paid too much for that one at $65...

Hahaha! :chuckle:

the exhausting part was the way they ran the auction... they had two rows of tables across the front and then a row down each side wall. The front center table had most of the griswold cast iron and other stuff... the one side wall was mostly wagner, lots of aluminum. And the bidders seated in chairs facing them. But rather than sell the stuff in any sort of order (so you could kind of keep track of which piece was which from the preview)... they had three guys working the tables... seemingly randomly picking up pieces to bid on... and with there being multiples of a lot of the pieces you never really were sure which one was which... like the waffle iron, the one I bought was the low base with the fancy helper handle, no bail, and wooden handles (that were in excellent condition)... but there were about 6 or 7 similar griswold waffle irons all in the same general area on the table.

Back