• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Taco mix

Mike F

A recent post discussing tacos inspired me to post this recipe that I use to make taco mix. I find it very easy to make and prefer it over store-bought packages. I use this as a base recipe and have altered it on several occasions with success, so it should be flexible enough if you would like to tweak the ingredients to align better with your particular taste.

I always make a lot of this as its great for leftovers and other applications (e.g. it works well as an adder to tomato based pasta sauce)

1 lb ground beef (I use extra lean)
2 Tbsp minced onion (less if you use dried onion like I do sometimes)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp crushed red pepper
½ tsp instant minced garlic
½ tsp corn starch
¼ tsp dried oregano
¾ cup water

1. Cook beef until browned. You may drain the fat at this point if you wish (I do this sometimes depending on my dinner guests)
2. Add taco mix and water; bring to boil
3. Reduce heat and cook uncovered until liquid is reduced
4. Stir once or twice

Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:
Mike that dose look like a good base to start with. When I get a chance I'm going to give it a try as is, so I can see if I'd add or delete anything. My personal I'll call them recipes are more of a base I'll change from time to time. I'm one of those who cooks by what I have on hand and sometimes cobble together :eek:

Thanks for posting this recipe Mike. I'll try it soon, I think. Also, making dinner with what we have is about the only way we cook. I've given up on trying to amass odd ingredients in order to try out a recipe. I believe "cobbling together" may be translated as "Chefly creativity"! Does CI cookware inspire cooking, or just make it more fun?:tasty:

Sharon just threw in towel on trying the ‘WWOTW Favorite Dinner’ below. Too bad Sharon. I sure am sorry you are going to miss such a wonderful culinary experience.

Hilditch

Argh!! Am I an idiot! Actually, I forgot about the Wicked Witch, but am on the way to the food store, so I'll check for ingredients. I think finding turnips was the problem before. This is the correct time of year for the soup--thanks for the reminder! I may get some made yet. :redface:

Back