Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 03-03-2017, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Seasoning With Crisbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdP View Post
The logic is beeswax is the main ingredient. And, so far, no experience with rancidity on my Crisbee seasoned iron. I cannot explain it any simpler than that.
Actually, beeswax is not the main ingredient. There is less beeswax than either soybean or palm oil. Anyway, this is not an indictment of Crisbee nor anyone who uses it. Almost all comments and reviews of it I have seen have been positive as far as using it for seasoning, but I think yours is the first I've seen concerning rancidity so that's why I was asking the questions.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Actually, beeswax is not the main ingredient. There is less beeswax than either soybean or palm oil. Anyway, this is not an indictment of Crisbee nor anyone who uses it. Almost all comments and reviews of it I have seen have been positive as far as using it for seasoning, but I think yours is the first I've seen concerning rancidity so that's why I was asking the questions.
I disagree based on the this thread where someone measured the density in order to calculate the approximate ratio of beeswax and other oils of the product. I created my own version buy using beeswax and canola oil. Worked equally well.

http://www.castironcollector.com/for...?t=3397&page=3
Old 03-03-2017, 04:47 PM

Well, EdP, all I can tell you is that ingredients as listed on a label are listed in the order of most to least. The (original) Crisbee label lists soybean oil, palm oil, and beeswax in that order. Is the label on yours different? I'm not even going to bother going into the chemistry and variables involved in measuring the density of single substances much less mixtures of substances.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:50 PM

Interesting. From what I have gathered Crisbee is Soybean oil, Palm Oil and Beeswax. Crisbee is similar to Crisco. Crisco doesn't have Beeswax that I know of. The smoke point for Crisco is 495 degrees. From the directions on Crisbee it says to heat to 400 degrees. That isn't even close to the smoke point of the oils used. I am relatively knew to reconditioning cast iron. I don't understand why the recommended differences in the processes when the oil's are the same? I am finding there are many different methods for seasoning. Not sure which one is right.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:50 PM

Some people advocate exceeding the smoke point, some do not. Both will polymerize so really it comes down to what works for you. The main site has a recommended technique and that's basically what people use here, but person-to-person there's a lot of variety on specific steps, I've found.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:04 AM

You are correct. Our ingredients are listed largest quantity to smallest quantity. Comparing to a mixture using Crisco will certainly have contrasting densities as we don't use any hydrogenated oils in our products.