Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 02-04-2017, 08:58 PM

Default Re: flax seed oil?

I surely agree. Whatever works for you, go with it, and then keep on cooking !
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2017, 09:47 PM

http://imgur.com/KUIiBcO

Made some roux in the skillet, stoked about how the casserole pan turned out. All good so far, and, we have roux to make gumbo tomorrow! Grandpa's dutch oven is ready for the next camping trip.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------[/SIZE]

http://imgur.com/a/S22L1
Old 02-05-2017, 04:49 AM

How about posting your roux recipe in the recipe thread...? . Looks delish!
Old 02-05-2017, 11:16 AM

I seasoned 3 skillets (new to me) with Flax seed oil. After 2-3 uses one skillet flaked badly, right down to grey. After going through the seasoning (6 times) I thought "I'm not going through that again, right now", so I just kept using it. Food didn't stick, and after a few more uses, it blackened right up again.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty L. View Post
I have. It makes my house smell bad during and after seasoning, costs a lot, and doesn't seem to do the job any better than lard.
Flaxseed oil = Linseed oil and can be bought by the gallon at your local hardware store or farm supply outlet.

I have not yet used this for CI, but will avoid specialty/gourmet stores as a source.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:03 AM
Site Admin

Flaxseed oil is the food grade version of linseed oil. Boiled linseed oil from a hardware or paint supply should not be used. It contains chemical drying agents.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:04 AM

The terms "flaxseed oil" and "linseed oil" are commonly used interchangeably, but I've sold both and have always thought of them as two totally different products. I sell flaxseed oil to nutritional supplement manufacturers and linseed oil to paint manufacturers and companies making paint thinners. Both are extracted from flax seeds, but linseed oil is extracted using solvents.

In the kitchen, put linseed oil on your wood cabinets, not on your cast iron.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:12 AM

I use linseed oil on gun stocks, I would never use it on my stomach........
Old 03-03-2017, 01:45 PM

SRFrancis: I have used it a couple of times with success. I went about it more of an experiment to see what happens. My approach was this for INITIAL seasoning after cleaning; 1) start with clean, stripped to bare metal piece of iron. This is imperative if you want the best results; 2) Use 100% pure organic, NOT a blend with other oils; 3) Apply sparingly 6 coats and heat @ 500F for an hour for each coat and let cool in between coats. My results was a tough, hard finish. I don't use it on all of my collection. I experimented on a new production Lodge last year or before (lost track of time) so and it worked great. No pealing or flaking and no leaching of taste or smell in cooked foods. And, I decided to test flax oil again on a 100 year Griswold #9 with success. So, for me, I don't use it exclusively because it takes too long for initial seasoning and flax oil is kinda pricey if you use it exclusively and you collect a lot of iron. But a one time purchase to experiment with, give it a try. If flax oil does not work for you, use the remaining flax oil to make a healthy salad dressing.

A few pics of my #9 slant logo Griswold seasoned with flax oil recently. >>> https://goo.gl/photos/TCbeUso7svpSwi8h7

Last edited by EdP; 03-03-2017 at 01:55 PM.