Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Show & Tell

Notices

Show & Tell Share Your Cast Iron Cookware Finds and Restorations

Old 10-19-2016, 12:54 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Griswold 11.25 inch "Skillet Griddle"

I don't really perceive a decline in Griswold quality pre-acquisition. It is true collectors don't seem to like the small logo items as collectibles as much as the earlier large TMs. Post-acquisition, a lot of Griswold was just Wagner re-branded, and that time period was when polish grinding stopped, automation requirements took precedence over aesthetics, etc. What I see on the bottom of this pan just looks like a little bit of sulfur pitting.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2016, 05:56 PM

Ed that piece looks great . You did a good job bringing it back and now you will have an excellent pan for a lifetime .

There's nothing wrong with the small logo Griswold skillets . I have Slant logo , Block logo and small logo and quite honestly I see no drop in quality what so ever in the Small logo . They are thin , smooth inside , uniform and well balanced . I think they represent probably the best deal in user pans you can get for price and quality .
Old 10-19-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Trainor View Post
Ed that piece looks great . You did a good job bringing it back and now you will have an excellent pan for a lifetime .

There's nothing wrong with the small logo Griswold skillets . I have Slant logo , Block logo and small logo and quite honestly I see no drop in quality what so ever in the Small logo . They are thin , smooth inside , uniform and well balanced . I think they represent probably the best deal in user pans you can get for price and quality .
Thank you, MTrainor. Its not the logo style or style of fonts that I am focusing on or concerned with; it is the texture/surface condition of the underside of this particular griddle. If you compare a good specimen of a large block logo Griswold like this:

https://goo.gl/photos/3hAVk9bshgzLBAcZ9

to this:

https://goo.gl/photos/z4PG79WPoT9obAK5A

...there is a very obvious difference in the texture/condition of the surface, save the fonts and logos. To paraphrase DougD, a change in production methods. However, the interior surface was of excellent quality for the time period back in the day and I agree with you on that. When it was dry prior to the seasoning, you could still feel the machine marks with a light touch of the finger. Probably moderate use, for lack of a better scale to judge. The other #8 Griswold (above) I have was a well used skillet back in the day and the only machine marks left are the ones on the outer interior rim of skillet.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:34 PM
Site Admin

You're misinterpreting what I said, which was quality dipped after Griswold was bought out. The bottoms of Griswold small logo pieces are for the most part every bit as smooth casting if not moreso than earlier large TM pieces. Your griddle has slight damage causing the unevenness, not deficiency or defect.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug D. View Post
[ You're misinterpreting what I said, which was quality dipped after Griswold was bought out..
You said nothing of quality dropping after the buyout. You said

Quote:
I don't really perceive a decline in Griswold quality pre-acquisition. It is true collectors don't seem to like the small logo items as collectibles as much as the earlier large TMs. Post-acquisition, a lot of Griswold was just Wagner re-branded, and that time period was when polish grinding stopped, automation requirements took precedence over aesthetics, etc. What I see on the bottom of this pan just looks like a little bit of sulfur pitting...
Still you mentioned nothing of quality after buyout. You said polishing grinding stopped and automation requirements took precedence over aesthetics, etc. If that is not change in production methods, to paraphrase, then what is it and how did I misinterpret you? These changes do not constitute change in quality but a change in methods or cost cutting. Not all cost cutting methods constitute/result in poor quality. Cost cutting is probably a better way to put it, in my opinion. A change in quality would something like the quality of the iron used and how much carbon and silicon they add/take away to get to their desired cost point, for example.

Quote:
The bottoms of Griswold small logo pieces are for the most part every bit as smooth casting if not moreso than earlier large TM pieces. Your griddle has slight damage causing the unevenness, not deficiency or defect.
Probably true. Just did not see hardly and rust which got my attention.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:47 AM
Site Admin

My point was that your pan was produced in Erie, PA, by Griswold Mfg. Co. prior to the company being sold and production moved elsewhere. Prior to that, there is nothing over-arching about Griswold product to say their quality had at some point fundamentally declined compared to previous, regardless of what that one webpage may claim. Although they did stop polish grinding their toy skillets at some point, if that can be perceived in some way as a decline.