E-tank question?

Stephanie D.

After being lucky enough to purchase a large amount of CI at a private estate sale, I decided to finally set up an e-tank. It has worked beautifully on the first 10 pieces, however, I've had to soak all of these pieces in a vinegar solution as once I pull them out of the e tank & rinse them, they turn black with carbon. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I have over 100 pieces to do & I was hoping to avoid this for the most part.

Thanks!

The electrolysis process turns rust from ferric oxide, the red rust we are all familiar with, to ferrous oxide, a soft, black form of oxidation, and one that should for the most part be easily rinsed off with just plain water. Built-up seasoning should release from the iron and shed or flake off. There may sometimes be tough spots of build-up that don't seem to want to release, but rust should ultimately yield, and in hours not days.

It's taking the rust off, and there's not much of it. The carbon just seems to come through when I rinse it off out of the tank. None of these pieces seem to have been burnt, and I'm not finding that deep red rust that you would see on a piece that has been burnt. The whole piece just turns a carbon color once it hits the water. Would leaving them in the e tank longer help?

I'm on well water, and I have experienced something similar to what you describe, but not to the same degree. I use a furniture refinishing pad to scour the pans after the electrolysis tank, and that with some dawn and cold water rinse takes care of it for me.

Here is the 3M furniture pad I use:

IMAG0641.jpg

I usually cut each pad in half, it makes them last longer.

Last edited:
Back