Lodge Sportsman Hibachi Grill - Awesome Grill!

I recently acquired this little rusty number off of Craigslist, gross but complete.

2014-06-02143312.jpg

It's a Lodge Sportsman Hibachi Grill! They still make these, and a new one will set you back $100 or more. This one cost $30, and a quart sized jar of elbow grease. Actually, there was no elbow grease involved in the cleaning, just in the making of the electrolysis tank! ;)

Here she is, all cleaned up and ready for some charcoal:
2014-06-16143221.jpg

I forgot to take any pictures of the actually grilling, I was too hungry and it smelled soo good! This is one fantastic little grill. The whole top surface gets hot, so even though it's small, you can pack the whole top with food.

I'm guessing this one was made around the 1970s, with the "Duck in Flight" motif, but I really don't know. In my research about it I discovered that this grill is actually a re-purposed Sad Iron Heater. In the late '30s - '40s, when sad iron usage was falling off with the advances in electricity, the sad iron heater design was changed a bit and re-released as a grill. The earliest models would have had four feet instead of the three that mine has. I just thought that was a neat evolution of design.

I have even scored a Lodge Fish Fry pan that was made for the Sportsman grill, also off Craigslist, for only $15!
2014-06-18181523.jpg

Now, I'm on the lookout for the deep roasting pan that fits it too.

Wow! It cleaned up nice. I'm keeping my eyes open for one of those grills also but not paying full price for a new one. I'll be patient. I actually saw one of the deep roasters with the lid with the duck flying design at a consignment shop today. It appears to be unused and they were asking $125.00.

Back