Age of My Aebleskiver Pan? And a Warp Question

VickiB

Hello All,

I'm in the process of trying to restore my grandmother's aebleskiver pan, and in the process was wondering what its age might be. I've checked this website's articles on dating cast iron pieces, but they seem to apply mostly to skillets. My pan is a Griswold. On the bottom, with the handle at 6:00, it's stamped Griswold at about 9:30, Erie PA at about 3:30, the number 962 is just above the handle, and the cup bottom at 11:00 says No and cup bottom at 1:00 says 32. The Erie PA is in plain block letters, no quotes.

And if I can be greedy here with my questions, I also noticed that the pan's fire ring does not sit flat on my glass cooktop burner. I'd say the one side rests about 3/8" above the surface. Does anyone know how much that will effect its cooking ability?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Im no good at dating pieces either really. You could check ebay and see if you can find the same one, and in the description it may say the age.....but im sure someone else on here will be able to help you....I for one dont think itll affect cooking much if at all.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Oh...and Welcome to The Forums! Youll love this site!

Thanks Dan,

Yes, I had seen this earlier and so far, it's the best indication that I have. Thanks!

The BB dates it 1923-1950s, and it appears to be the longest-standing and last revision of the pattern under Griswold ownership. A later version, with the Erie, PA and No. 32 removed, Made In USA added, and the handle style updated was produced 1960s-70s, but would have come from the Wagner plant in Ohio.

Thank you!

And thanks to whoever it is that wrote the restoring and seasoning articles. I've scoured the pan and seasoned it twice and I'm stunned at how nice it looks. Next step: see how well it heats with its warp on a glass cooktop.

Back