Griswold 502 Gas Hot Plate

Nice work.
myself, I like to keep it all original as can. Somewhere out there is a parts stove needing a new home, problem..... Finding it.:icon_thumbsup:

myself, I like to keep it all original as can. :icon_thumbsup:

True! The only times I've used non original parts during a restoration of something is when the original was so fragile to begin with that the reproduction was of higher quality. Or an original was impossible to find in a condition that was usable.

Door liners, and seals for soda machines made 70 years ago... Old plastic gets brittle, and old rubber is no longer rubbery. (My most recent repro substitution)

But I realize that some people just want functionality. And if a reproduction works for them, fine.

Up-date on my Griswold 502 gas hot plate.

I only need to get the right pipe to gas fitting and fire it up.

Changing the gas type would probably require some dealing with the orifices and the tank regulator. Might want to enlist professional help on that.

NOTE; the valve orifices are adjustable, no need to purchase new ones. Did I ever tell you why I like old things. Hell most of the newer orifices are NOT adjustable, you only can adjust the air.

I only need to get a long gas hose with a new tank regulator.

2 photos to the right;
https://picasaweb.google.com/114772661409714296598/JeffreyR#6123652585638920226

Beautiful job Jeffery. I have an old two burner no name that needs a dose of that kind of TLC.

Thank you JMoss

Roll up the sleeves and get into it. No photos, you did not do it.:mrgreen:

I plan on using it

I just tour into my new (to me) Barstow / Garland #3 All in pieces.

Nice job Jeffrey, I saw this thread and thought it might help me out with cleaning and reseasoning an old Griswold Hotel waffle iron that I recently picked up. Doug helped me figure out that the base had a Japanning finish and gave me some pointers. I was thinking that I was going to season the paddles with Crisco and the base with mineral oil. After reading this thread however, I was so impressed with your results that I think I'm going to go with the heat resistant, high gloss black pain for the base instead. I was curious, did you find the paint in an automotive store? Did you just use spray cans? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Another question. On your waffle iron, did you paint the handles too? Thanks again.:icon_scratchchin:

Hi Jody, Thank you

Nice score with the Griswold Hotel waffle iron.

Wash your base, to see how much Japanning is left, at that point you will know what you want to do. Strip of good enough to leave alone.

My waffle iron base had a Japanning finish, but it was missing to much of the Japanning, so off to the lye tank for about a week. I took off my handles, all original never had to repaint them. The Japanning is a bit tough to get off, you do have to help it. I have good strong lye tank, so that might have helped me.

I used a high heat gloss paint. Here is the trick when painting. Clean, No Grease or oil, no flaking Japanning left,- Clean Bare Metal. Metal is like a sponge to moisture, so take and heat the base for 10 - 15 min, at 75 - 100 deg. Take it out side and spray a little on the bottom corner. You do not want the metal so hot that the paint sizzles. If it does not sizzle spray 4-5 light coats without letting the paint completely dry between coats. Light coats, then leave it for 2 days, fingers off.

Season your paddles, your done. :glutton:

spray cans? Yes
Automotive store? No

High gloss black. Yes

Good Luck.

Photos when you are done.:icon_thumbsup:

Thanks for the information Jeffrey. The finish on my base is pretty rough, several scratches and flaking with rust showing through. I use an e-tank to clean my cast iron - hopefully it will work on the japanning. As you can see from my picture, my handles are coiled wire. I wondered if they were removable, so I tried unscrewing them. All 4 handles turn about 2 full turns and then stop. I don't think they are removable. I'm glad I found this sight, it has a lot of useful information to help with my new "addiction".:grin:

Myself, I would just leave the handles on, clean and season them. You do not have to bring the temp up to 500deg. 450 should be fine. I have done a Griswold waffle iron set with no issues.

Thanks, I do plan on leaving them on. Temperature just warmed up enough here that I set up my e-tank today. I started on the pile of skillets I've picked up this winter. I think I'll wait for much warmer temps to start on the waffle iron since I'll be painting the base outside. Hopefully it will turn out well, and I'll post up some pictures.

Good things take time.

gris%25252Cburner_1031.jpg

That is an amazing hot plate Jeffery.

I saw one at a shop this weekend that needs restored. One of the grates was broken and missing. I didn't even look at the price. Would a grate be hard to find?

Well you got me wanting a hot plate Jeffery. Your's turned out so nice. After seeing it I started looking at different ones. The 502 looked like one of the most decorative. I went back to get the one I found this weekend. I don't know if I will find a grate, might have to find another unit and make one good one.
Griswold%20502%20001.jpg

Back