Wagner 11

The authors of the RB and BB were a couple of dedicated hobbyists who, with the help of other dedicated collectors like Steve Stephens, compiled the information contained in the books. What is presented therein is mainly the result of their collective (no pun intended) empirical observations, since much of the literature available in recent years had not yet been found then. In other words, what's in the books is just what they had seen. But in some cases they also extrapolated and listed some items (sizes) which don't actually exist. While I appreciate the noting of a comparative example of such, I think we need respect the OP and not shift the focus to militariana.

Thanks for sharing that wonderful artifact with us Steven! Art is art, whether it's devoted to worship, war or hedonism. (Or, maybe just having a good dinner!:D)

I saw a Wagner #8 with a gate mark yesterday. The word, "Wagner" looked like it had been itched into the metal by hand. I meant to post a picture of it last night, but I forgot. The gate mark was huge, causing the pan to be a spinner.

Thanks Doug for the additional thoughts on reference books as I was trying to convey. Many such books have errors and omissions due to little information at the time. The first books on a subject often have authors state that on some items will say in their opinion they think it's this or means that. Years later more information comes to light and is added to later books.

Just think how hard and long it took to do a book back before the Internet. Now days collectors can share information in a short time, and across the globe.

Steve,

Back