Hello from DC, and a Question

TShapinsky

Hi, I'm Toby, I'm from DC and I just graduated college as an Electrical Engineer.

In the void between finishing school and eventually getting a job I somehow started learning about old cast iron.

My mom had bought for me a couple pans at the estate sales she frequents and, being an engineer, I cleaned em up and seasoned them. One was a pretty standard lodge egg 12sk, another, an emeril mini skillet (I actually haven't been able to find it exactly online, but it doesn't have the best build quality), and the last didn't have any marking that I could see besides the size on the back and what turned out to be mold markings. I identified it as an unmarked Wagner from before 1960 and from there I was hooked.

Right now I'm thinking about replacing my small pan with something a little higher quality and I want to keep my collection small so my pans need to first be good cookers not collection items. I think I've found a single notch lodge no 3 (1930s) for a pretty reasonable price (<$20) and I'm wondering if that would be better for cooking than an unmarked wagner?

Thanks!

Not necessarily better, maybe slightly different depending on the weight/thickness of the casting. Both should be relatively light and have factory polish ground cooking surfaces. Either should be preferable to a modern casting from an automated molding line.

Back