Saturday yard sale find!!

Holy cow, Rick! $50 for all of that? I've pretty much thought that yard sales were not the way to go, but may have to rethink that! Have you done an inventory on your find yet? I'd love to see what you got there.

Hi Dan. Yeah I use to think the same way. But have found through out the years that yard sales are the way to go if you know where to look. I tend to "sale" in areas of town that are rural and lower income. These folks tend to collect and hold on to a lot of stuff. Then as they get older getting extra money is nice since they are on a fixed income.
In the case of the massive collection of 50 pieces....the gentleman just had a few at his yard sale. I asked if he had more and hit the jackpot. One of the reasons I got it so cheap was that a lot of them were in really bad shape. Still cleaning them up and will post a pic of all of them when I get them seasoned and documented!! The only piece I don't have anymore from the collection is the large DO lid that Bonnie Scott wanted. Got to see some of her finds and they are amazing!!

Oh, please DO post pictures of them cleaned!
I stopped by an "estate sale" a few weeks ago that ended up being not much more than another yard sale, but just in case, I asked the owner if by any chance they had any cast iron cookware. They did not. But one of the other guests overheard me and told me that he had some that dated to his mother and grandmother.

I asked if he'd mind showing me, so he let me follow him a few blocks to his house where he brought out some dismal imports and modern Lodge skillets. He knew by the look on my face that I wasn't interested, but then he said, "well, there is one more..." and went back to the kitchen and brought back a chicken fryer that I have since identified as an unmarked Favorite in excellent condition. I gave him $20 for it, and we were both happy.

Impressive Dan. That's the way to work it! Most people have cast iron and will just let them rust away. Best to steal them away at the lowest cost and restore the CI for future generations to enjoy!!

Back