Where to search ...

Jeffrey F

Just wondering where would be the best place to start my search for good old CI. Hoping to start searching and locate some real bargains :)
Where have you had luck finding treasure ?

Flea markets, yard/garage sales, estate sales, thrift stores, auctions, Craigs List, your friends. Might be surprised what your friends have that they don't want or care about.

Jeffery F
Always ASK! Several times I have been at garage sales and flea markets, seen no visible CI and asked the vendor about it. Only to have them say they didn't have any but there was some in the kitchen or they would bring it next week. At least twice I have bought a lady's CI right off her kitchen cabinet. Good user pieces, just too heavy for a small woman to use.

It's all part of the hunt and lots of fun. Keep us posted with pictures and stories of your finds.

Jack

Country yard sales the ones where the folks set up in their yard almost daily.
I drive through rural SC fairly often and also Florida. Never find the good stuff on the first stop but talk to the folks about CI and as mentioned they often find some and hold them for me.

Great ideas - Thank you. My father inlaw is an avid yard saler, I will put him on alert and star hitting the local thrift shops.

Thrift shop today - just getting my feet wet :)
Found this but didn't buy it yet ? It was $10

Not sure what it is - There was also the same
size or a tad bigger Wagner skillet that had seasoning instructions on the bottom :)

The #3 is a Wagner, also. Personally, I'd pass on it and the other one. I have no use for a #3 or even 8 of them to make personal desserts or little portions of anything else. Lots of people like them though.

I have walked into local goodwills and thrift store COUNTLESS times around me and have only once seen a piece of Asian CI

Jeffery F
Kevin is correct, that #3 is an unmarked Wagner probably from the mid 1960. The one with seasoning instructions is from their 1892 Collection and was produced around 1992 their 100th year of operation. Neither is collectible but both are good users.

BTW those #3's are readily available for $5 or less (at least in my neighborhood). The only thing I've ever used one for was making marinades and sauces.

Jack

I would buy it for his price. I would then ask him if he comes across other more interesting stuff to let you know.

In the last 2 years of haunting thrift stores I have found exactly zero pieces of CI.
I did pick up a Wagner "Magnalite" dutch oven but that's not ci.
By far my best luck has been tag sales.

In the last 2 years of haunting thrift stores I have found exactly zero pieces of CI.
I did pick up a Wagner "Magnalite" dutch oven but that's not ci.
By far my best luck has been tag sales.

If you're hitting the Goodwill, Salvation Army, stop... Rarely if ever there is anything there. You need to find some good independent thrift stores.

Does anyone have a good 'in' in California? I've been to a lot (no, really, A LOT) of antique stores between Ft. Bragg and San Luis Obispo and don't often see cast iron. If I do, it's relatively modern Lodge or something. Once, I found a shop with a bunch of Griswolds, but they were newer and expensive. I yearn for the opportunity to find someone selling an old, crusty piece of CI that I can take home and clean up, but it just doesn't seem to exist out here.

Back