WagnerWare skillet

My observations of Wagner Ware markings and design on the smooth bottom skillets have been that the earlier ones have thinner rims and heavier, deeper markings with a sans-serif font on the c/n. The later ones have distinct reinforced lips and thinner, finer markings with serifs on the c/n characters. I haven't really looked at a variety of #6 smooth bottoms at the same time to make an observation of handle differences. I have a couple of them not in storage I'll look at later to compare with yours, but I know they both have the finer markings.

Mine have the same handle as yours, with the somewhat distinct rib flattened where it meets the pan. The only difference is the ones here have the pattern letter after the c/n, not below it. There is a later handle on WW skillets that has an elongated, tapered oval shape as opposed to the classic teardrop shape. I don't think that later handle appeared on skillets with the "Sidney -O-" marking.

I have seen on some WWSO smooth bottom skillets with what I consider the earlier type markings, a blended rib handle, again with the flat area where it meets the pan. I do not recall seeing the distinct rib handle on smaller smooth bottom WWSO skillets, like the #3, in any marking variation. I have also seen a #6 WWSO with what appears to be the later marking style and the blended rib handle.

To answer your question, I think yours and the two I have here come from sometime in the latter half of that date range.

Back