BSR piece (I think)

MelanieC

I picked this up at a thrift store. I think it is a Birmingham Stove and Range based on the underside of the handle shape. There are no markings except for the small 3 on the top of the handle.

ImageImage

ImageImage

Not sure about this one. Although the handle certainly has BSR's profile, the smooth bottom and numbering on the top of the handle are both inconsistent with BSR. To my knowledge, only BSR chicken fryers had smooth bottoms. This may be an import copy, or perhaps a small foundry copying/emulating BSR's handle (sort of).

My understanding has always been that BSR was established by by Atlanta Stove to be their hollow ware manufacturing arm, and thus they never made pans themselves. Pieces I have seen to date with paper labels saying Atlanta Stove Works were in all respects identical to BSR. The smooth bottom and small pour spouts would tend to make one think that, if this was BSR, it would be later production, and one would expect to see markings more consistent with the 1960s and after.

If not a BSR, then I would think a small foundry maybe. I wish you could see it in person. It is very well made with no roughness and has very thin sides. The bottom is smooth as is the inside. It just seems like there was attention to detail and it has the look and feel of my older pieces. How something "feels" makes no sense but I hope you know what I'm trying to say.

Back