Wapak Indian Head

I got my Holy Grail today! Well... not the Erie Spider, but close. I ran into this guy last month and he told me that he had a bunch of pans in boxes, and he thought that at least one of them had an indian head on it. I finally hooked up with him today. Got it for $80! Slight wear on the logo, but still nice and clear. Can't wait to get it cleaned up!

Some of the old cast is beautiful... i've never seen this or a spider skillet in person.

Silly question, what is the word grade in reference to? Is it WAPAK "grade" hollow ware as in reference to Wapak quality or a reference to something else?

Some of the old cast is beautiful... i've never seen this or a spider skillet in person.

Silly question, what is the word grade in reference to? Is it WAPAK "grade" hollow ware as in reference to Wapak quality or a reference to something else?
It says "High" (or maybe just "Hi"?) on the other side of the Indian head (High Grade).

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Nice! I bet that cleans up great. What size is it?
Thanks. Its a little crusty but otherwise in very good condition. Its a #8

It says "High" (or maybe just "Hi"?) on the other side of the Indian head (High Grade).

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Thanks. Its a little crusty but otherwise in very good condition. Its a #8

It does say "high", never noticed it before. Cool.

Thx Doug. I remember a reference online about a fake Wapak, someone commented that it looked like the indian was singing into a microphone.

Thx Doug. I remember a reference online about a fake Wapak, someone commented that it looked like the indian was singing into a microphone.

This is the bottom of my fake No. 4.
Indian-4-Fake-bottom,medium_large.1421224724.jpg

I've got a couple other real ones and the fit/finish of the real ones is much much better. They're very heavy for their size.

This is the bottom of my fake No. 4.
Indian-4-Fake-bottom,medium_large.1421224724.jpg

I've got a couple other real ones and the fit/finish of the real ones is much much better. They're very heavy for their size.
Actually, at least from that picture... it ain't bad! The edge of the circle looks very soft in comparison, and the details of the mouth and a few other parts are weak, but it really is a pretty scary good repro from what I can see! Do you know if the fakes were made in sizes other than #4?

I have a few Wapak Indians in my collection and I run across a 1-2 a year at the flea markets. I have seen several fake #4s over the last few years.

I have only ever seen one other reproduction, two years ago I found a #8 with a sprue mark, the medallion was in so-so shape but the overall casting was nicely done. I am convinced this was a local project rather than an attempt to pass it off as genuine , the vendor had picked it up at an estate sale with many other CI pieces from a former metal worker. I took a pic at the time but cannot locate it.

Back