Possible fakes on Ebay

Yeah, I'd say those are recasts. The faintness of the markings isn't really consistent with pitting, and the cooking surfaces are definitely not pitted but rather unpolished. Whoever made them at least had the capability of side-gating them. Or those may be sprue marks on the heat rings, not sure. Nice of them to supply close-ups of the casting voids and slag inclusions. Looks like they've been cleaned in a too-hot fire, too.

My first thought was that at least one was an original but, looking at them a tad more, I think they are recasts. Or, possibly, they sat in vinegar or the electro bath with the leads connected backwards. The latter may be the answer because not too many people have access to an iron foundry and why would they copy that pan which is not a terribly high dollar pan and not worth much in a recast state as those pans appear. Either recasts or badly eroded from something.

At one point I wanted to see what vinegar would do after several days so I put a cheap tabasco skillet in for 3 days and the result looked similar to the ebay skillets, rough finish, pits and loss of detail. The iron actually wiped off like wet grey clay. I think it would eat a pan completely if left in long enough.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bday06041975/9691516142/

I agree that the markings look eroded, but my assumption that the skillets in the auction are recasts is primarily based upon what looks like additional blobs of metal on the heat rings of each and the unevenness of the cooking surfaces that does not present as pitting.

Back