Universal Meat Grinder

PeteK

Hi all,

A while ago, my dad gave me his mother's old meat grinder, which I'd love to use. The only problem is that it was left in his garage, and had rusted in some areas. I guess it was either "tinned" or plated somehow.

When I got it a few months back, I seasoned it in my oven with grape seed oil to prevent more rusting, which is why it looks so shiny. But I'm hesitant to use it as is.

Is there anything I can do about the rust, given that it isn't bare iron? Or is it better to hold onto it as a keepsake but not use it? Today I set up my first e-tank, so I now have that as an option. But I haven't read up on what to do when something has been plated or tinned.

Thanks as always.

Image Image

You could do 50/50 white vinegar & water soak & scrub, or Evapo-Rust, if you want to use it.

Thanks, Doug. But definitely no e-tank, right?

Or should I just get a new meat grinder and keep this one for sentimental reasons? I hate the thought of rust in my burgers.

I think there are ways to sufficiently prepare it for use. I would be reluctant to put it thru electro, unless I decided I wanted to actually try to take off the tinning (which it may or may not do).

Back