Bsr 14?

KevM

I have this no 14 pan that I believe is BSR but it does not have the triangular underside on the handle. it does have a heat ring, 14 A, and the 1/2 circle hang hook/assist tab. don't all bsr have the triangular underside?

I was thinking bsr. it matches my other pans except for the it missing the triangle on the underside of the handle. wasn't sure if it was a copy or something

Not all of their skillets had the sharp edge "The triangle" under the handle. See HERE.

I was actually stumped on this a few weeks ago. I only have a few BSR pieces and was stumped on a saucepan. Weird long handle with LOooong hang hole. I will admit my BSR knowledge is pretty weak.

Not all of their skillets had the sharp edge "The triangle" under the handle. See HERE.

I was actually stumped on this a few weeks ago. I only have a few BSR pieces and was stumped on a saucepan. Weird long handle with LOooong hang hole. I will admit my BSR knowledge is pretty weak.

JMoss posted a thread here on 1-29-16 that had some good information on BSR cast iron. Here's the link he had in his thread should you want to read more about it.
http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Birmingham_Stove_and_Range

I have a century series BSR 14. Its handle is somewhere between the normal sharp point and the rounded one that you show. I've seen that exact same pan that you show at an antique store in Madison, WI and it was labeled BSR.

Hope this helps

the sauce pans I believe are the only ones that do not have the ridge or edge along the underside of the handle. even the Chef Skillet, Breakfast Griddle and Square Skillet from the 60s have a bit of an edge. The 1/2 circle assist tab is only to bsr also from what I can tell.

Bought the exact same skillet yesterday. Even has 14 A on it.

Would appreciate info as to the age and approximate value. Mine does have a slight wobble, but is not what I would consider a "spinner."

Early to mid-1950s early automation (pre-DISA). One would hope for $75 or maybe better if lucky in the wild, but eBay thinks double to triple that.

Is it true that the "A" on BSR denotes the Atlanta foundry?
Without knowing the source, I would file that under "highly unlikely". Kind of like eBay sellers saying a G on an unmarked piece is code for Griswold.

It's been my experience that there are several variations on the #10 and larger sizes. You'll see a full ridge, no ridge, ridge with flat spot. Everything else will be BSR characteristics. I even have a Lodge #14 with a rounded assist handle with a hole, although I'm thinking someone drilled the hole. Most of the Lodge had a more squared tab and I thought this very cruddy beast was BSR. What a surprise when I found the size at 12 O'clock and three notches!
b5ae981243a937957c833b276b3cd297.jpg

Last edited:
Back