"Modern" uses for Scotch Bowl

JenniferM

I picked one of these up (a Wagner #4) from a local person who restores CI (electrolysis & initial season); pics later as my phone is acting up. I just know I will find a bunch of common uses for it (e.g., soups, maybe stir fry?). But curious if anyone else has one that they use, and if so, what they use it for.

Thanks so much!

Deep frying was another intended use.

I could totally see that with these, but I would be so afraid of knocking that 'top heavy' looking bowl off the stove when it's slam full of hot oil. :eek: Over a campfire ... sure. Indoors, I'll stick to my chicken fryer. :icon_thumbsup:

They are more secure when the heat ring, as was also intended, is set into a woodstove eye.

I bet chicken & dumplings would be a fantastic candidate! :glutton: Think I'll make that my 'christening meal' for it.

Pictures ... now that my phone is behaving:
20150225_072828.jpg

20150225_072753.jpg

I've got a #4 & a #2 slant Griswold scotch bowl. For the most part....the #4 is used for stir fry and the #2 is used for some good old oatmeal.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

(PS....still looking for that dang #3 slant bowl.....if I haven't seen pictures I wouldn't believe they exist. Haha)

I've got an old Erie 783 No. 5 I use for browning meat for stew & chili. Have since picked up an older long handle Lodge Wok, so I may be switching to that for browning.

ERIE-783-Side,medium_large.1413533526.JPG

ERIE-783-Bottom,medium_large.1413533549.JPG

IMG-4303,medium_large.1423033830.jpg

I used mine yesterday for the first time to make the base for chicken pot pie ... I sauted the onions in butter, added flour, then chicken broth and my other veggies, and just kept it on low, stirring frequently as it slowly simmered & thickened up. It worked perfectly!

Back