Is your Family supportive of your hobby?

RickC

Mine is, and I'm grateful for this.

It's nice to have people around you that support what you're into, no matter how wacky it may seem.

My parents, greatest ever. Active thrifters, they collect Fiestaware Which is kind of along the same line as cast iron, right? So they understand the hunt, the find, cleaning up etc..

They've called me a couple times recently about iron they've found while on their hunt. ME: "No leave it there." "No, it's not worth that." Etc...
Last night they called while I was at work, they found an aluminum Wagner 1053. Huh!!? I didn't have my books with me, but I have a couple 1053's, and they're iron. They're almost a dime a dozen, but I've never seen an aluminum one.

ME "Are you sure it says 1053?"
Pop "Yep, and it's aluminum."
ME "Describe the logo."
Pop "It says Wagner and under it says Ware, bottom says 1053U"
ME "Hmm, How much is it?"
Pop "Three dollars."
ME "Just buy it, and I'll come over later this week"

Later that night, try as I might, I can't find it in either the RB, the BB, or online. I call my Pop, he describes it again, and I know it's a fake. But I really love the oddball stuff, and for $3 how far wrong could I go.

Went to pick it up tonight. Behold!
Bottom almost looks like it has a gate mark going from 2 o'clock to 7 o'clock, but the texture is the same as the rest of the pan, no grind marks. You can also see it a little on the inside (Below) There are NO grind marks around the lip either.
Image Image

They then proceeded to give me this.

It's good to have other people that are supportive of your hobby, and it's also good to have more eyeballs out there looking out for things you're into. I think I'll have to cook them something from inside the magazine for them.

Interesting find ... whatever it is. I have a "thing" for 1053s especially the pie logos. And particularly the 1053 Fs with a certain pattern of casting flaws.

Back