I Have Had a Good Few Days

Kyle S.

I picked these up this weekend and paid an average of 18 bucks a piece. It is gonna take a while to restore these, but they are all in excellent condition so i couldn't pass on any. (Not sure why I put the BSR skillet in the top left in, I didn't buy it in this transaction) Description is from left top to right bottom:
#8 Lodge skillet cover
#8 SBL Griswold Skillet Cover
No. 9. G. F. Filley gem pan
Wagner Fat free Fryer
Top Middle: #8 Slant logo Griswold waffle iron
#7 Wapak dutch oven
2 QT BSR Red Mountain Sauce Pan
Back top Right:
Hammered 4 in 1 with a star on the top (Not sure on who made this one any info appreciated)
#9 LBL Griswold Dutch oven
#8 Wagner sydney o Dutch no lid
Any inför on the 4in 1 would be appreciated.
Enjoy looking and good luck hunting!
Kyle

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0031-1.jpg
    IMG_0031-1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 100
James,
I Think your right. My first round of research turned up nothing but I checked eBay and there were a few. Do you know when they were made?

I need to get those books. I keep spending my money on iron though. Thanks for the info friend.
Kyle

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Thanks Jody. I think it is my second (or third to the 4 in 1) favorite. I like the Filley gem pan. I have never seen one.

yup. lodge 1940's... love the 4 in 1's.

two of these I bought the top and bottom together... then I found just a lid, then another lid, then finally got the third bottom at an auction ($7)... I still have an extra lid... I know where a bottom is for sale at an antique store but they want $42 for it and it is far from flat...

https://imgur.com/a/QXCvC

Hey D_Madden,
I like that 4 in 1 collection. Mine is in the lye now. I have a question. Does the handle on the skillet/lid of yours have the hammered finish as well. Mine does, but I couldn't see it on yours. I am curious if that helps with dating, if they all have it, or if there are some with and some without.
Have a great night,
Kyle

There are variations in the handles... here are more pics of my second one... in the last pic you can see that the 'top' of each of the handles are hammered but the bottom doesn't seem to be (at least not on the 'lid' part)... not sure that gives us any more info on dating them though... I'll try to remember to get some more pics of the handle differences when I get back home. I've seen these in the non-hammered finish and they just don't have the same appeal to me.
https://imgur.com/a/JDAoa

The other thing that I find interesting is that around the same time Griswold made a hammered finish set similar to these with the hinged lid and the handles are almost identical to the lodge... which is a very unusual handle for griswold... makes me wonder who copied who.
sample of the griswold (ebay listing)

Best estimate for the "Foursome" with this style handles would be late 1930s to 1950s.

Kyle, very nice haul and great prices. The Filley pan is a #6 no #9s are known to exist. The #6 is also one of the more uncommon versions.

Thanks for the correction on the Filley. Like I said, I have never even seen one except for pictures. Glad to hear it is a rare one. It is gonna stick with me. I would like to put together a collection. How many variations are there?

Kyle, best of luck on the Filley hunt. They are very unique. My obsession also started with a single find. It took a while but I managed to collect all the Filley gem pans, I even bake with some of the more common ones.

Back