"Iron Mountain"Chicken Pan

James M

Just looked at an Iron Mountain Chicken Pan with matching lid. Lid is in great shape, the pan has sulfer pitting on the bottom of the pan to the point you cannot read the lettering. The inside of the pan is nice, small scratches at the most. The seller wants $39.00. Pan sits flat. Would you pull the trigger?

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Should have posted this in the General cast iron section, my mistake.

If you don't own a chicken pan and want one for a user you would be getting a better quality pan than a new modern one for about the same price. If you want a chicken pan to collect or to re-sell then I'd pass. I would try to talk them down. Most shops except some thrift stores have some wiggle room, you just have to ask. I live in NC and picked up two chicken fryers two weeks ago, a Favorite Piqua Ware and a #9 Lodge no notch both with lids in good shape $40.00 each. He wanted 45 each so I saved 10 just for asking.

Here is the lid. 9 B. (Not clean yet) Almost didn't get the lid. He not only didn't have it on the pan, but didn't have it on his tables when I made my first pass. I usually ask how much and then wander off looking elsewhere and come back later and start the bargaining. When I came back the lid was on the table but not on the pan. I haggled and he threw in the lid for 5 bucks extra.

Attachments

• RenderedContent-1D954D8D-715C-48B8-B474-6A811674024F.jpg
    RenderedContent-1D954D8D-715C-48B8-B474-6A811674024F.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 45
  • RenderedContent-9F5E2446-BC34-4599-A2CF-F970AF99AFD1.jpg
    RenderedContent-9F5E2446-BC34-4599-A2CF-F970AF99AFD1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 38
I'm kicking myself about the lid. I was at an auction a few weeks ago and bought several items (so I was trying to be good and not buy everything that caught my eye)... one of the items I didn't buy was a favorite lid, not sure if it was an 8 or 9... but had the distinctive drip ring and the 'tabs' that prevent it from sliding around... but at that point I had never encountered a favorite chicken fryer 'in the wild'... but last week I stopped in at a little junk store that sometimes has some cast iron pieces... they have a little covered outdoor porch area at the entrance and I noticed two cast iron pieces hanging from one of the posts... one of the tin 'cool handle' skillets (very rusty) and the favorite chicken fryer... it had rust on the inside and outside in a couple of spots but otherwise in good shape. Now I'm wishing I could even remember who ended up buying that favorite lid at the auction... maybe I could track them down and buy it from them.

Lids are harder to find than skillets,every time I see a lid I buy it,is easer to get a skillet for the lid you have than getting a lid for a skillet,I'm sure you won't pass a lid next time you see one.

that is my usual method as well... but the lids were at the beginning of the cast iron items and I was trying to show restraint because I knew there were some pieces that I really wanted coming up and being an auction I didn't know how much I would have to pay to get them... They had 3 or 4 lids and they did the bidding for 'choice'... there were two unmarked and in rough shape, the favorite skillet lid and a slant erie #9 dutch oven lid... I got choice at $20 and took the #9 slant lid...

Back