Question about Krispy Korn Pans

I've seen a few of these around, but never been really interested in them. I saw a couple today and was wondering about the difference. 2 were Wagner Ware Sidney O Junior pans with Krispy Korn and a patent date of 1920. The other had similar markings but was a Senior pan. All 3 need some work, but look pretty good. Someone told me at some point something about the patent date and the pan size, but I can't remember what. I guess I really need to get the reference book for these things. Another entry on my to do list, like it wasn't long enough, already.

There are 3 sizes, the senior, junior, and tea size. C/ns of 1318, 1319, 1317, respectively. A senior size pan was first, had flat tabs for handles, and was inscribed Patent Pending. Later, the Ks in Krusty Korn Kobs were stylized into letters made of corn cobs. The patent date is the same on all three sizes. There are some variations including the placements of the markings, most often seen on the junior. Also produced in nickel-plated iron and in aluminum (c/ns 456, 458, 459). The iron have a tendency to warp in the direction of the long axis, so watch out for that. There are also repros of the tea size collectors should look out for. There were unmarked versions of the junior produced. See also the Gems & Muffin Pans and the Reproductions & Counterfeits pages on the main website.

Words of advice..

If/When you go to use one of these things, grease it up good. When you think you have enough grease, lard, Crisco, Spray, WD-40, Mobile One Synthetic, etc... Add some more or you'll end up with a plate of crumbs that you scrapped outta' the pan with a spoon.. :frown::redface:

Words of advice..

If/When you go to use one of these things, grease it up good. When you think you have enough grease, lard, Crisco, Spray, WD-40, Mobile One Synthetic, etc... Add some more or you'll end up with a plate of crumbs that you scrapped outta' the pan with a spoon.. :frown::redface:

My experience with cast iron is that you get it good and seasoned, it is better than Teflon for non-stick. Just my humble opinion.

Words of advice..

Time to change the oil in my diesel p/u. Any interest 15 quarts, cheep.:icon_rofl:

I have the #27 wheat stick pan, also the #262, 273, 283 corn or wheat stick pans. They all make fill shaped bread, one piece. Hint, seasoned 3 times with everyones favorite oil, pre-heat with a good bakers spray.:glutton:

Words of advice..

Won't have that problem if you use a skillet for cornbread. I won't even use one of the BSR/Lodge/Wagner pie shaped cornbread pans.

Seasoning is the main factor, then pre - heat and butter, quickly spooning the batter. Should sizzle a little. Cook. Then let rest, if removed too quickly, sticky icky. I bought two Lodge seven stick, mini corn stick pans, last trip to the Lodge outlet in East Tennessee. These little pans work better than the larger ones. Pre - heat, butter,add batter and cook.

Oh my. I just picked up the jr one. Was already anxious about using. Thanks for the advise all! I will follow carefully. 😋

Pretty sure they meant out of the oven, probably on a cooling rack of some sort. (Quote from my first boss: It's easier to answer dumb questions than to fix dumb mistakes.) Not that Wally is dumb; many people, men especially, have not had much in the way of training to use kitchen utensils. Cooking is indeed a science as well as an art; practice is required! Personally, I use my cornstick pans as decoratives; I've NEVER mastered the 'heat it up, put in batter, get nice golden corn sticks which will come easily out of the pan' technique. You have my entire sympathy Wally; best of luck in your cooking and baking adventures!

Back