• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Hash

BarryL

This is something that my wife and like to make every now and then. I don't measure, and it changes somewhat depending what I have in the cabinet.

4-6 Potatoes
2-3 Onions
1lb Ground beef 87-90% lean
Salt
Pepper
Seasoning to your taste.
Oil
Cast Iron cookware : 10 deep skillet with lid , Dutch Oven, or 12 inch regular skillet with lid.

Preheat skillet to medium low, with a generous amount of oil.
While skillet is heating wash peel and dice potatoes, add salt or seasoned salt. Place potatoes in skillet and let cook stir with plastic or wood spatula, making sure to scrape the bottom.
While cooking potatoes peal wash and dice onion, add to skillet.
Season meat to your taste.
Once onions start to turn clear, and potatoes are changing color add meat. Fold ingredients into each other, and scrape bottom of skillet until beef is brown, and everything is well mixed. (Note: If you potatoes started to stick a little they should let go while doing that)
Reduce heat and cover, let simmer until potatoes are tender (about 15 -20 minutes), Stir every few minutes.

Uncover , set corner of the skillet on something heat proof, and pull ingredients to the high side then spoon off excess oil.

Garnish with one or more of the following: Hot sauce, Ketchup, Steak Sauce, or salsa.

Serve with baked beans and corn bread.

It is an easy meal that can be prepared at a campsite or at home.

Back