Griswold's Erie Value

ZBaker

Recently caught a no. 8 Griswold's Erie (marked 704H) for a price that seamed too good to be true. Described to "sit flat with no cracks or pitting". It's quite crusty but the pictures look very promising. I did some searching but am having a hard time finding a good figure for the value of this piece. So does anyone know how much these are worth?

I'm wondering how the seller could state "no cracks" on an unrestored encrusted pan. They can sometimes be overlooked even on stripped pans. If you find no damage or defect after cleaning, I'd say the price was OK.

I'm wondering how the seller could state "no cracks" on an unrestored encrusted pan. They can sometimes be overlooked even on stripped pans.

I purchased a #5 Wagner and after I stripped the pan I found the crack that wasn't suppose to be there either. But couldn't take it back to the guy at the flea market. This was before I knew about holding it with a wire and giving it a wrap with my knuckle and listen for a nice ring or a somewhat dead sound. I know the difference now. I chalked it up to a learning experience and moved on! If you paid the guy/gal already I would be wondering why it still looks for sale.

I hope yours is in perfect condition!!!!!

the 'rings like a bell thing isn't a sure thing.
see #7 on this page: http://www.castironcollector.com/myths.php

When when buying on eBay there is no close inspection and usually in my limited experience the pans at flea markets are caked with burnt on grease and what ever that sometimes is impossible to tell. Just another reason I don't pay allot for those type pans and use that as a bargaining chip.... Sometimes I've found a few gems like that :)

I have found thru the years of collecting that when a seller has a piece of rusted/crud cover C.I. for sale there is most likely a chance that it has something wrong with it. They more often than not claim the piece a barn find and use that excuse for not restoring it when it comes to selling it. To me that is nothing more than being lazy and I usually shy away from those type of purchases. They tend to ask top dollar prices for them hoping someone will buy them thus leaving all the chance to the purchaser of it being a worthy piece to restore. Crud cover pieces are the worst because you have no idea whether it has a crack and/ or is warped and the crud keeps it from wobbling when you set it on a flat surface.
It's the chance we take when buying any piece and over time you will be able to walk away from those purchases regardless how tempting they may seem but that is just my experience and opinion for this hobby thru the years.

Back