Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 03-02-2020, 12:23 PM

Default Newbie- Please Help with Cast Iron Recommendations

Hi All,

I am so thankful for finding this forum. I've looked everywhere for help/recommendations and there just isn't a lot of unbiased places to learn about cast iron skillets online. If I've posted in the wrong section, sorry in advance.

The only cast iron I have ever used was a Lodge but I'm ready to step my game up and cook with something better all around. I've looked at Smithey, Stargazer and Field. Being that I know so little about the differences except for say one has a longer handle while the other has a pour spout, I wanted to see what the community thinks in terms of which direction I should go.

I want to be under/around $200. Looking for a 12" skillet. Mostly what I'll be using it for is searing meats (chicken, hamburgers, steaks, etc.) and putting the skillet in the oven to do the rest. I want to also cook eggs/omelets as well.

Any and all feedback on which direction I should go, maybe if there is another brand I should check out, etc. Anything to help me make a choice. I'm sure that they are all good but just trying to do some due diligence before purchase.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2020, 01:37 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Newbie- Please Help with Cast Iron Recommendations

Just curious why you're not including a vintage pan in your considerations. The quality is more than comparable (some would say better) and a vintage piece can often be had for less than one from the new boutique makers. Far less for an unmarked user such as those from 1950s-60s Wagner, Lodge or BSR.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:29 PM

I guess that I would have no idea where to even start when looking for a vintage pan.

I would have no idea if the pan I purchased was a good one or if I bought a lemon.

Are there places where I can buy a vintage pan online that are trustworthy since I am a newbie to this and really would have no idea what I was truly looking at?
Old 03-03-2020, 06:46 AM

I know some will say the prices are really high, but if you want someone you can trust to buy from, give thepan-handler.com a look. They have a lot of really nice vintage skillets, DOs, ect. Old pans can be from a cheap yard sale find, to an auction win in the 100s. Ihave had a real good time buying from ebay too. My personal favorite brand is Wapak.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 AM ----------[/SIZE]

And welcome to The Forums!
Old 03-03-2020, 09:43 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanZatt View Post
I guess that I would have no idea where to even start when looking for a vintage pan.
See: www.castironcollector.com/buying.php
also: www.castironcollector.com/hunting.php
Old 03-04-2020, 03:15 AM

If you want to make omelets, using a 12" skillet will be frustrating. A #5 skillet (about 8") is the perfect size for a two egg omelet and should not cost much more than $15-20. Find an old one with a smooth cooking surface at a flea market or antique store. The brand is basically irrelevant, just make sure it is not cracked, warped, or wobbly.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:34 AM

Hi Evan,

When I was served breakfast made in a cast iron pan at a friends house I was intrigued... maybe I needed to get me one of these things? Then, I started to notice the abundance of cast iron cook books and TV cooks using them... I was convinced. So, I started to research what was the best kind to buy and all roads led to vintage pans.

I found a couple used ones, cleaned them up, starting using them and got hooked. Vintage is the way to go Evan.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:08 PM

Evan, what is your motivation for using CI when there are so many other types of cookware to choose from?