It's Finally Happened

JRobson

Well after buying and restoring my first piece of vintage cast iron at the end of February this year - I took the plunge this week and threw out all of my non-CI skillets, frying pans, roasting pans etc, now that my collection has grown. I did save the pots however for now. Every time a fry an egg in my #3 I can not imagine why teflon took over in the kitchen. A seasoned CI pan is spectacular instrument that never need to be replaced. Shows the power of modern marketing. Last night I roasted a small chicken in my #8 and it made the most wonderful dark brown gravy for the mashed potatoes. Hey, hey I am a believer now and my kitchen cabinets now prove it! Have a great rest of the weekend everyone.

I usually cook everything in cast iron as well. But I do have small teflon skillet I usually cook my eggs in. While it can be done in my CI, teflon is too easy.

Comment: Recently I decided to do scrambled eggs in a Revere Ware skillet that was my mom's. It produced nice eggs and a ridiculously difficult cleaning job.:oops: Will only use it to saute veggies in the future, as that was the reason I kept it. Lesson relearned--using CI is always better!

I have more problems with breakfast meats in cast iron than eggs. They add sugar in most bacon, ham, and even some sausage. The sugar gets all gummy on the bottom of the pan and I have to scrape it to one end of the pan with a spatula so my eggs don't stick.

CI certainly has its place in my kitchen, but I'm certainly not selling, donating, giving away, or throwing away any of my other cookware. There are some things I cook that CI is not the best choice to use.

I might add that 95% of my cooking is in Wapaks. I have several skillets, a griddle, and a dutch oven.

I cook only in CI and I cook anywhere from a few to many eggs every morning. I also cook frozen (vegetarian) sausage every morning and while it took some time both to season and learn the best method, here is what works for me.

Frozen sausage: Place frozen sausage in cold pan and cook on a low heat. (I've got an induction stove and cook at "4".) As it begins to sizzle, make sure to roll the sausage around a bit to remove any frozen moisture. After that, allow the sausage to stay in place a minute or two so it can brown. This, as opposed to constantly rolling it back and forth which would be a PITA anyway.

Eggs: Small amount of (olive) oil and a medium heat. ("5" on the induction stove.)

Good luck!

I have numerous cast iron pieces, 30 ish, and I use it for 90-95% of my cooking. I still use stainless steel, good quality, and copper (tin lined). I have also acquired some cast aluminum, roaster, 2 Bundt pans and Dutch oven. I haven't use it yet though.

Back