Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Show & Tell

Notices

Show & Tell Share Your Cast Iron Cookware Finds and Restorations

Old 10-17-2017, 04:53 PM

Default Senior Day Smile....

She almost nailed it....

Bride brought these home after a hard day of shopping. Unfortunately, the long handled Lodge 10 " is a carbon steel skillet. The No.8 dutch oven seems in good trim ... but, clean up will tell the tale. No lid was found. All in price after old fogey discount was $11.25 . Both will be headed to the RV after appreciation.

"A" for effort !

Charles

https://imgur.com/a/1py1t

http://shop.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-st...el-skillet.asp
Old 10-17-2017, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Senior Day Smile....

You may be surprised with the performance of the Lodge seasoned steel pan. I don't have one by Lodge but I have a huge Antique one that I use to sear steaks and chops that works great! Mine is large enough that I also use it instead of my Woks for stir fry! That's a #7 Griswold for size comparison. https://i.imgur.com/3ZjCt8X.jpg
Old 10-17-2017, 09:48 PM

Very nice Russell...I'll get it stripped and then start re-season... I have no
experience with carbon steel skillets so looking forward to using it ! I'll do a
little research and see if there are any nuisances to seasoning techniques.
Good idea on the stir fry... my wok is a bit bulky so will give it a try.

Charles

Last edited by CDLaine; 10-17-2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: re-wording....
Old 10-18-2017, 01:53 AM

My wok is carbon steel - it's the traditional wok material and really, proper wok cooking requires higher heat than non-stick ano aluminum can safely handle. If you google carbon steel wok seasoning techniques you'll find content for a stovetop method but really the oven method works better, you just have to remove any parts that aren't oven friendly, which your piece doesn't have to deal with.

So, if I were you, I'd clean and reseason it same as cast iron then enjoy the cooking. Nice piece.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:48 AM

Eric,

Good advice... I checked my wok ...also carbon steel , I recall seasoning it on the grill, then with mixed Asian style veggies on the cook top .

So, cleaned, one pass on the outdoor grill with Crisco, then the test... skillet eggs over easy. Med. temp., pat of butter , attempt flip (as you can see, I need more practice.)Evaluation... one tiny area of "stick" about the size of a penny , freed easily with silicone spatula. Funny thing is... did not happen on the first egg...only the second/third pass.

A reminder from my bride.... I put the cracked eggs in a ramekin and then in the skillet. Noticed a piece of egg shell in the egg white... to retrieve just use the cracked egg shell. Comes right out without digging....but you already knew that. ... a cool intervention without drama or speaking in tongues. One other point.... the long handle does not spare the user from heat... don't grab it ungloved. ....don't ask.

now I'll season thru use. Bride wants to keep it at home... not the RV. Must say, I agree. Good Lodge quality...I wish it was rivet free...(more to clean around).

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/goB3N
Old 10-18-2017, 11:37 AM

Regarding the egg shell piece, I don't know what your cracking technique is but here's a trick I've learned...

Instead of cracking the egg on the edge of a bowl or skillet, crack it against a flat surface like your countertop. Not a light tap but a decent wack, it works pretty well.

The problem with cracking on an edge is it can drive shell fragments into the egg that you have to dig out later; the countertop method is much less likely to cause that.