Best CI Wipes (what do you use) ??

Not everything, but it was the beginning of the end. And, yes, you do have a lot more reading to do.

I paint Crisco on with a bristle paintbrush while the pan is pretty warm. When cool, I wipe off the congealed Crisco with a paper towel; then I go to a terry cloth towel and REALLY go after it! I haven't had any trouble so far....

I am trying to envision how the pans were tumbled in a drum without damage to their spouts or handles. If anyone can describe the mechanical set-up, I'd be interested... :icon_scratchchin:

Thanks! I learn so much here.

I use paper towels, I never have a problem, but I do change it very often. Maybe I will try an old shirt now......

One caution: be sure to use all cotton fabric. It's more absorbent and touching a hot pan won't cause the problems cotton/poly blends do. As for snitching good cotton dish towels--that could be hazardous to your health! I have to hide my best towels because my husband sees cloth as cloth; no ability to differentiate old and cruddy from brand new!

I am trying to envision how the pans were tumbled in a drum without damage to their spouts or handles. If anyone can describe the mechanical set-up, I'd be interested... :icon_scratchchin:

Thanks! I learn so much here.

Donna - you can get some idea of this by going to the Lodge website. Click on the videos tab (top right), then watch the foundry tour video (1st one). You'll get a quick view of the tumbling process and the tumbling media used. It's no more for them to tumble hundreds of CI skillets, than it would be for us to put a handful of stones into a 3 lb. hobby tumbler, with a smaller media, just to clean and polish them up. The equipment (drums, etc) are huge, probably much larger than you are envisioning. I've been to the Lodge foundry in South Pittsburg, TN, several times. Great factory store there too.

Thanks for the Lodge video--really interesting. It would be fun to have a tour of the actual process area.

Back