#5 Unknown Hammered Skillet #2

Jeffrey R.

Reading this thread, made me pull out this pan that was found here in northern VT. No name Hammered Skillet. The only mark is the letter A on the bottom. No other marks on the handle. Nice heavy skillet, and is 8" across the top. Hopping that the A will help with the ID of this skillet. Nice smooth cooking surface. Thank you.

Attachments

• ci,hammered_7771.jpg
    ci,hammered_7771.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 53
  • ci,hammered_7773.jpg
    ci,hammered_7773.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 43
Could be, the A is in the right spot to match a 87C I once had. It was a fine user for quite a spell before I resold it, of the highest quality.

Could be, the A is in the right spot to match a 87C I once had. It was a fine user for quite a spell before I resold it, of the highest quality.

What do you mean, I resold it, of the highest quality.

By all means my pan is of good quality, a bit heavier than a Griswold of the same size, and nice smooth cooking surface.

Thank you

Sorry I was in a hurry, meant it was of the highest quality, and eventually I sold it when I had a space in an antique mall. Yes they're a bit heavy compared to Griswold, but just as good to cook on.

Tyhiggins, You had me thinking we have some gold here. I have not cooked on it, but bet it would be a nice keeper. Compared to a Griswold, just as nice if not nicer. I do like the weight of it. Time to find a new home for it.

Steve Stephens, I know that you have been around cast iron longer than myself. Just trying to learn here. When you look at the pan, what do you see that tells you that it could be a Chicago Hardware Foundry. I do have the Blue and Red books, but no luck there. Thank you for your time.

I'm getting rusty on some aspects of the old iron. Maybe time for me to take an electrolysis bath? Didn't CHF have a handle like that, a bit pointy on the end? And they had that shallow but large hammered pattern. It's been too long since I was out and about collecting and may have forgotten some of the details. That's why I said I THOUGHT that it looked CHF. CHF, also, I think sold iron to Sears in the 1930s or early 40s and had the deeply hammered pattern as well as the shallow one. Sears had their "Good, Better, Best" lines of items and the shallow could have been their Good or Better while the deep was their Best. Or maybe a Griswold made pan was their Best and the CHF their second line. Or….????

Looks like a match to this one to me:
chf_hammered2.jpg

Steve Stephens, Looks like you have not forgotten to much. No need for the electrolysis bath, just cook with more iron you just need more iron. So what time frame are we talking.

Doug D I was not trying to take over the post, just hoping we all could learn something about the Hammered Skillets.

As it is I have a small, (around #3) chrome Hammered Skillet, with a 8 3 G in the same place as your photo.
See if I did this right?? Thinking that this is also a Chicago Hardware Foundry pan.
https://picasaweb.google.com/114772661409714296598/JeffreyR

I split the topic for no other reason than I was concerned there might be confusion at a later date by someone misreading and thinking the pan in the original post was CHF, too.

I note how your plated CHF has a dot under the handle, similar to the dots on the one in the other thread. I don't think that makes them related, however.

If it looks like a CHF and feels like a CHF and you think it's a CHF it probably is. No need to smell it for the final determination and it's not going to quack like a duck unless the pan is quacked. I think all hammered ware came along in the mid to late 1930s and was gone by c.1950. Some of it was super nice: Griswold, CHF deep hammered pattern, LODGE tiny hammered stuff. There were a number of other makers but I think those three are the cream of the crop. Wagner made some nice ones also but not as nice as the preceding and the shallow CHF was also quite nice. I do wonder why Wagner never took up chrome plating like many other makers. They stayed with nickel for plating.

Doug D. that makes sense, it is easy to get confused with some of the different pans.
So does anyone have a time frame that these pans were made?
Thank you

Steve Stephens, I never saw your post on page 2, Thank you. If you do not have to "smell it for the final determination" Would taste be the best way?:icon_thumbsup:

Smelly guy uh! That is a personal problem!:icon_rofl: Myself I like to taste the cake before she is a keeper..:tasty:

Thank you for your time.

I just hit a honey hole of cast iron, getting some new photos ready one is a "Erie" 786 Yankee Bowl

Back