Help with an Unknown Oldie

I picked this up at a flea market this weekend from a well-known dealer. He knew nothing about it. I recognized the gate mark immediately, and was struck by the quaintness of the handle design, and the nicely polished interior. Can anybody point me in the right direction with identifying it?

As a general rule, gate marked pieces are hard to identify, and you may never get an answer. The gate mark, single pour spout, and raised numeral all point to it being pretty old...it's a cool piece, and one I'd be pretty happy about finding.

As a general rule, gate marked pieces are hard to identify, and you may never get an answer. The gate mark, single pour spout, and raised numeral all point to it being pretty old...it's a cool piece, and one I'd be pretty happy about finding.
That's kind of what I figured, Doug. I like it, and that's what matters. As far as I have read, probably pre-1890?

That's kind of what I figured, Doug. I like it, and that's what matters. As far as I have read, probably pre-1890?

I'm not the expert that others here are, but based on what I know, I would agree that it's probably mid to late 1800s.

I'm not the expert that others here are, but based on what I know, I would agree that it's probably mid to late 1800s.
I cooked bacon on it this morning. Cool to know that it may have had bacon cooked on it 100 or more years ago, too!

Back