When would this have been made?

Mandy D

I found my second cast iron skillet today in a thrift shop. It's made by Lodge and the only other marking is 10SK. If it makes a difference, it's flat on the bottom unlike the newer one I have which has the circular pattern on the bottom. Just wondered if anyone knew when it might have been made.

Collectors usually don't consider anything after 1957-1959 in the realm of vintage or truly collectible. This would be the timeframe by which most of the old major makers were gone, and what remained of Wagner and Griswold had been consolidated under one holding company. Lodge and BSR remained but had long switched to automated production.

Collectors usually don't consider anything after 1957-1959 in the realm of vintage or truly collectible. This would be the timeframe by which most of the old major makers were gone, and what remained of Wagner and Griswold had been consolidated under one holding company. Lodge and BSR remained but had long switched to automated production.

So this one would fall right in the beginning of that "not collectable range. Oh well, I'm getting closer :) I'm a total newbie to using cast iron for anything.

Not saying there weren't any good pans made after that, just that the close of that decade signaled the beginning of the end. Even automated production pieces were still being polish ground for a time after that. My best user is a Lodge #10 (no SK) made just before yours.

So this one would fall right in the beginning of that "not collectable range. Oh well, I'm getting closer :) I'm a total newbie to using cast iron for anything.
Give it another generation. They'll think that ANYTHING made out of iron is remarkable.

Back