I need some ID help if you have time!

Oh my gosh! Thank you. I looked it up. It appears to be blacklock lodge. Holy cow. Now I am almost scared to use it. These belonged to my great great aunt. As did the Griswold's that I got. I'm not sure when she was born, but now I wonder if this one was perhaps someone else's before it was hers. Wow! I do know my other great great aunt was born in 1899.

I wonder if that Dutch Oven is old Lodge also. Nobody really knows what a Blacklock skillet looks like so we avoid using that word on here. It is definitely old though. I like the JK. I would call it my just kidding skillet. :)

Ohhhh that is good to know. Either way, I don't really care what it is in the long run. I don't have much in the way of family heirlooms, so it is special to me no matter what. But it is cool to try to learn the history and age of a piece. So thank you for your help!

Yes, that last link is definitely like mine. I do plan on cleaning the up and using them. I'm trying to find someone with a battery charger I can borrow to set up an etank. It seems like the safest and easiest way for me to do it. I definitely don't want to risk ruining it by forgetting about it sitting in something.

I don't have an e tank. I just clean mine in a bucket of lye and use vinegar to remove rust. Yours don't look very rusty to me. You can forget a skillet in lye for months and it will not hurt it. I try not to work to hard so I just drop them in and let them soak a week before I even start to clean them.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

I wish DougD would chime in about the dutch oven. That date on the lid is cool. I am curious what it is??

Also good to know. I'm super new to cast iron. I have a few newer pieces that I've been using for a couple of months, so I haven't had to worry about cleaning like this. I'll have to get some lye then.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

The DO has an odd shaped lid from what I have seen online. It's swoopy, if that makes sense.

I've seen this DO in the wild, and IIRC, it had the same markings on the bottom of the pot as well. The lid is the same design as the early Wagner "turtle top". The patent refers to the concept of basting drippers, but not necessarily Wagner. Whoever made it, it's probably very early 20th century.

It says Dec 4. No year unfortunately. That would make it far too easy.

Thank you Doug. I'm amazed to have something so old in my possession. And I'm grateful to be the only one out of the "kids" in the family to have shown an interest in cast iron. I'm one of the youngest, so they would have been gone by now if my sister or cousins had. Between these and my mantle clock from the 1904 world's fair...I'm glad to be the odd one who likes the weird stuff.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

I lied...the date is Dec 4-17

Bonnie- I've got the same one as you. I'm satisfied calling it a very early Lodge.

lF6yGd3l.jpg
uI9pfZ8l.jpg

Back