Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 04-10-2017, 09:34 AM

Default Seasoning Question/problem

Hello

So I got a Lodge 12" skillet, I sanded the inside smooth just because I wanted to see if it would work. My question is after seasoning it a few times, I wash it and the seasoning rubs right off with a non scratch scrubbie. I use the Larbee lard/beeswax. Is it because it is too smooth of a surface or the Larbee?

I have read about people using grapeseed oil too. Is Larbee ok or should I use grapeseed oil or just stick to Crisco.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2017, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Seasoning Question/problem

Your problem sounds more like an issue with the surface smoothness than your choice of seasoning oil.

Are you saying you're washing it after manual seasoning but before cooking with it? If so, no need for that. Using soap? No need for that either.

The manual seasoning process is just the start, actually cooking with it is how you build the mature effective seasoning. If you're having adhesion problems, go at it gently. Cook with extra oil, fry if you can, minimizing burnt-on stuff. Just wipe it out as much as possible and gently scrape burnt-on residue if you have to, no need to go at it like you would an aluminum or stainless steel pan.

Just rinse, wipe, dry, then coat with a very thin layer of cooking oil. Use it frequently and every few weeks run it though another oven cycle without any extra oil applied, to firm up the seasoning you're building. In a few months it should be something you're happy with.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:30 PM

After seasoning it when I cook something in it, I wash it with soap and the seasoning wipes off. I have heard some say you can use soap right away and others say not to until the seasoning builds up. The soap is probably the problem. I am going to strip it and re-season it and not use any soap and see what that gets me.

Sandy
Old 04-10-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy W View Post
After seasoning it when I cook something in it, I wash it with soap and the seasoning wipes off. I have heard some say you can use soap right away and others say not to until the seasoning builds up. The soap is probably the problem. I am going to strip it and re-season it and not use any soap and see what that gets me.

Sandy
Tell us your procedure for initial seasoning.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 PM

I was doing a thin coat of Larbee, 400 for 2 hours
Old 04-11-2017, 09:26 AM

So I'm going to do the seasoning procedure from Cast Iron Collector website.
My question is some tell you to do higher temperatures for 2 hours or so. What is the benefit/difference to just 30 minutes on this website vs 2 hours.

Sandy
Old 04-11-2017, 09:47 AM

Sandy, the issue here may not be the what or how on seasoning, but the fact that you've sanded the pan. The surface may just be too finely finished to hold the seasoning.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:14 AM

I agree, it's not the seasoning, its the smooth surface. I've seen it posted a few times that people have problems when they sand a pan too smooth.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:14 PM

I'm going to go against the grain here. I don't believe your skillet is sanded too finely. I have some Wagners over a hundred years old that are smoother than a baby's butt and they have no trouble holding seasoning. Two things---bring your final seasoning temp up to 475 (I only hold there for an hour) and quit scrubbing your pan.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:13 PM

Its not like you are using a CNC to finish the surface, with sanding you will always have a fine sanding marks even with a 2000 grit paper.