Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 03-07-2016, 11:00 AM

Default For those interested in flaxseed

Flaxseed does not seem to be too popular here, but for those interested in trying flaxseed oil, I found this recently and if you prefer flaxseed oil, give it a try. FWIW >

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how...ason-cast-iron
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2016, 05:12 PM

Default Re: For those interested in flaxseed

I had read about that in the beginning of my interest in CI but have never used it. I have wondered about how well it would hold up on the bases of waffle irons. It looked like it gives a deep black color and would clean up easy? And what did start to ware I'd just add oil and use as normal.

Has anyone else used it for WI base Or trivet? If so what's the downside of it.

Steve,
Old 03-08-2016, 05:53 PM

I've seasoned with flax oil, but not on waffle irons or trivets. It has a much more pungent odor when seasoning but it gives the iron a rich dark brown color. Even after a lot of use the exterior of the pans I seasoned with flax oil still have a little brown to them. There doesn't seem to be much difference in cooking performance vs seasoning with other oils but I do prefer it for pans I'm more likely to display rather than use.

For a waffle iron or trivet I'd simply use whatever food grade oil on hand that happens to have the highest smoke point and adjust the seasoning temperature accordingly.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:11 AM

America's Test Kitchen is a pretty darn good recommendation. They test everything nine ways from Sunday.
I've read both positive and negative things about it, but I have yet to try it.

Some of the people posting negative reviews about it, I doubt could follow the directions on a Band-Aid. Others seem bright enough. I've also heard first hand success stories from people I trust.

To me, I think of it like pretty much anything. If you can get it to work for you the way you want it to.. Go for it. After a lot of trial and error I have my methods down pat. They work for me and I get the results I want.

Being a collector, 98% of the pieces I restore it's mostly to get them back in working order and to inhibit rust. I also cook in quite a few of my favorite pieces so I know my methods are sound.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC View Post
America's Test Kitchen is a pretty darn good recommendation. They test everything nine ways from Sunday.
I've read both positive and negative things about it, but I have yet to try it.

Some of the people posting negative reviews about it, I doubt could follow the directions on a Band-Aid. Others seem bright enough. I've also heard first hand success stories from people I trust.

To me, I think of it like pretty much anything. If you can get it to work for you the way you want it to.. Go for it. After a lot of trial and error I have my methods down pat. They work for me and I get the results I want.

Being a collector, 98% of the pieces I restore it's mostly to get them back in working order and to inhibit rust. I also cook in quite a few of my favorite pieces so I know my methods are sound.
Yes, indeed. I think I will give flax seed oil a try on the next picking find. And, gotta find a local source of flax see oil, btw.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:24 PM

Higher end grocery stores or a health food store such as Whole Foods should carry it. It puts off a strong acrid odor when it starts to smoke, more so than any of the other oils I've used.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty L. View Post
Higher end grocery stores or a health food store such as Whole Foods should carry it. It puts off a strong acrid odor when it starts to smoke, more so than any of the other oils I've used.
Ok thanks Ty. Just wondering if it gives off the same acrid odor when heating up skillet preparing to cook?
Old 03-10-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC_Price View Post
Ok thanks Ty. Just wondering if it gives off the same acrid odor when heating up skillet preparing to cook?
No.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:10 AM

Default Re: For those interested in flaxseed -update

Update on my flax seed oil testing. I recently tested on a couple of new Lodge skillets using Wholefoods 360 brand of filtered flax oil. I followed the instructions exactly as presented in Cooks Illustrated article I linked earlier and reference from another article posted in seasoning resources here about seasoning with flax seed oil. Results: yes it is a very dark, durable finish and it is a lengthy process. So far, after cooking on it as normal, no flaking or cracking so far. Not to say it won't. No bad taste issues in the foods I cook so far. Some caveats I considered: using the filtered (same as refined, correct?), organic and requires refrigeration and is 100%, not a blend of, flax seed oil with the high smoke point of 430F and set my oven to max temp of 550F.

As I use them over time, I will let everyone know if flaking/chipping develops.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:50 PM

One more thing I forgot to mentioned is that I stripped the mentioned CI using the lye solution method. They were bought new a few years ago at some big box store.