Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 10-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Site Admin

Default Re: etank battery charger

Chargers are also covered here: http://www.castironcollector.com/electrolysis.php
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2015, 06:54 AM

I found a manual one at autozone. $40
Old 10-26-2015, 11:00 AM

This is the one I use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s00

Basically any manual charger will work, and you can save money if you want to search garage sales and other second hand opportunities like that. I bought this one because it has an engine start feature as well, which I wanted because I have a mostly dead car that I still need to start up every once in awhile.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:24 PM

I tried a small, $30 battery charger as well as a power supply but, due to the size of my stainless e tank, neither worked well. Bought a big manual Schumacher at WalMart & that solved my problem. Electrolyte churns like a Jacuzzi
Old 10-28-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
I tried a small, $30 battery charger as well as a power supply but, due to the size of my stainless e tank, neither worked well. Bought a big manual Schumacher at WalMart & that solved my problem. Electrolyte churns like a Jacuzzi
It has a manual mode? May I ask what it ran you?
Old 10-28-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Farmer View Post
It has a manual mode? May I ask what it ran you?
It's manual only, Dan. I can give you the model # when I get home from work tomorrow morning if you want. It's a big one, comes with wheels. My little $30 charger worked OK for a while but the way it was cycling I figured it wouldn't last long.
Keep in mind, my e tank is stainless steel, 18" diameter & about 3/16" thick with about 28 gallons of electrolyte so it needs a lot of current to make it work efficiently. Especially so in that I have a Dutch oven/flat bottom kettle fetish so I really need the juice to drive it when cleaning bigger iron. Someone with a smaller capacity, plastic tank might not need as big a charger.
BTW, I noticed no appreciable increase in my electric bill when running it. I often leave it running 13 hours straight when I go to work, check iron when I get home, then run it longer if needed.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
It's manual only, Dan. I can give you the model # when I get home from work tomorrow morning if you want. It's a big one, comes with wheels. My little $30 charger worked OK for a while but the way it was cycling I figured it wouldn't last long.
Keep in mind, my e tank is stainless steel, 18" diameter & about 3/16" thick with about 28 gallons of electrolyte so it needs a lot of current to make it work efficiently. Especially so in that I have a Dutch oven/flat bottom kettle fetish so I really need the juice to drive it when cleaning bigger iron. Someone with a smaller capacity, plastic tank might not need as big a charger.
BTW, I noticed no appreciable increase in my electric bill when running it. I often leave it running 13 hours straight when I go to work, check iron when I get home, then run it longer if needed.
I have a plastic tank with ss plates covering 80%,I don't have any at bottom,I haven't clean those plates nor change on a YEAR working 24/7 sometimes same skillet for a week until I have a chance to pull it out,I have 10amp charger and is pulling 6 amp,since I set it up to today,
Old 10-29-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarLopez View Post
I have a plastic tank with ss plates covering 80%,I don't have any at bottom,I haven't clean those plates nor change on a YEAR working 24/7 sometimes same skillet for a week until I have a chance to pull it out,I have 10amp charger and is pulling 6 amp,since I set it up to today,
My charger is a Schumacher 1520 XL. It has 2 amp slow charge, 20A rapid charge, 55A boost & 150A engine start settings. I usually run it at the 20A setting but can go at the 55A setting if I'm in a hurry. The beauty of it being that I don't have to run it 24/7 to get my iron clean. My e tank is a beast, a search of this forum should lead to pix & description of it.
Hope this helps
Old 10-29-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
My charger is a Schumacher 1520 XL. It has 2 amp slow charge, 20A rapid charge, 55A boost & 150A engine start settings. I usually run it at the 20A setting but can go at the 55A setting if I'm in a hurry. The beauty of it being that I don't have to run it 24/7 to get my iron clean. My e tank is a beast, a search of this forum should lead to pix & description of it.
Hope this helps
link
Old 10-29-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Farmer View Post
link
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE-1520-Manual-Starter-Charger/dp/B009PHKMX4

I paid $90 at a local WalMart