Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Doug D. Doug D. is offline
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,734
Default Re: etank battery charger

Chargers are also covered here: http://www.castironcollector.com/electrolysis.php
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #12  
Old 10-26-2015, 06:54 AM
JustinR JustinR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 273
Default Re: etank battery charger

I found a manual one at autozone. $40
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-26-2015, 11:00 AM
DougH DougH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 293
Default Re: etank battery charger

This is the one I use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s00

Basically any manual charger will work, and you can save money if you want to search garage sales and other second hand opportunities like that. I bought this one because it has an engine start feature as well, which I wanted because I have a mostly dead car that I still need to start up every once in awhile.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-28-2015, 08:24 PM
CharlieK CharlieK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Springfield, Maine
Posts: 48
Default Re: etank battery charger

I tried a small, $30 battery charger as well as a power supply but, due to the size of my stainless e tank, neither worked well. Bought a big manual Schumacher at WalMart & that solved my problem. Electrolyte churns like a Jacuzzi
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-28-2015, 09:13 PM
Dan Farmer Dan Farmer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St Paul, MN
Posts: 713
Default Re: etank battery charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
I tried a small, $30 battery charger as well as a power supply but, due to the size of my stainless e tank, neither worked well. Bought a big manual Schumacher at WalMart & that solved my problem. Electrolyte churns like a Jacuzzi
It has a manual mode? May I ask what it ran you?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-28-2015, 10:59 PM
CharlieK CharlieK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Springfield, Maine
Posts: 48
Default Re: etank battery charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Farmer View Post
It has a manual mode? May I ask what it ran you?
It's manual only, Dan. I can give you the model # when I get home from work tomorrow morning if you want. It's a big one, comes with wheels. My little $30 charger worked OK for a while but the way it was cycling I figured it wouldn't last long.
Keep in mind, my e tank is stainless steel, 18" diameter & about 3/16" thick with about 28 gallons of electrolyte so it needs a lot of current to make it work efficiently. Especially so in that I have a Dutch oven/flat bottom kettle fetish so I really need the juice to drive it when cleaning bigger iron. Someone with a smaller capacity, plastic tank might not need as big a charger.
BTW, I noticed no appreciable increase in my electric bill when running it. I often leave it running 13 hours straight when I go to work, check iron when I get home, then run it longer if needed.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-29-2015, 08:03 AM
EdgarLopez EdgarLopez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: houston
Posts: 347
Default Re: etank battery charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
It's manual only, Dan. I can give you the model # when I get home from work tomorrow morning if you want. It's a big one, comes with wheels. My little $30 charger worked OK for a while but the way it was cycling I figured it wouldn't last long.
Keep in mind, my e tank is stainless steel, 18" diameter & about 3/16" thick with about 28 gallons of electrolyte so it needs a lot of current to make it work efficiently. Especially so in that I have a Dutch oven/flat bottom kettle fetish so I really need the juice to drive it when cleaning bigger iron. Someone with a smaller capacity, plastic tank might not need as big a charger.
BTW, I noticed no appreciable increase in my electric bill when running it. I often leave it running 13 hours straight when I go to work, check iron when I get home, then run it longer if needed.
I have a plastic tank with ss plates covering 80%,I don't have any at bottom,I haven't clean those plates nor change on a YEAR working 24/7 sometimes same skillet for a week until I have a chance to pull it out,I have 10amp charger and is pulling 6 amp,since I set it up to today,
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-29-2015, 02:20 PM
CharlieK CharlieK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Springfield, Maine
Posts: 48
Default Re: etank battery charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarLopez View Post
I have a plastic tank with ss plates covering 80%,I don't have any at bottom,I haven't clean those plates nor change on a YEAR working 24/7 sometimes same skillet for a week until I have a chance to pull it out,I have 10amp charger and is pulling 6 amp,since I set it up to today,
My charger is a Schumacher 1520 XL. It has 2 amp slow charge, 20A rapid charge, 55A boost & 150A engine start settings. I usually run it at the 20A setting but can go at the 55A setting if I'm in a hurry. The beauty of it being that I don't have to run it 24/7 to get my iron clean. My e tank is a beast, a search of this forum should lead to pix & description of it.
Hope this helps
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-29-2015, 09:08 PM
Dan Farmer Dan Farmer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St Paul, MN
Posts: 713
Default Re: etank battery charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
My charger is a Schumacher 1520 XL. It has 2 amp slow charge, 20A rapid charge, 55A boost & 150A engine start settings. I usually run it at the 20A setting but can go at the 55A setting if I'm in a hurry. The beauty of it being that I don't have to run it 24/7 to get my iron clean. My e tank is a beast, a search of this forum should lead to pix & description of it.
Hope this helps
link
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-29-2015, 09:17 PM
CharlieK CharlieK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Springfield, Maine
Posts: 48
Default Re: etank battery charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Farmer View Post
link
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE-1520-Manual-Starter-Charger/dp/B009PHKMX4

I paid $90 at a local WalMart
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Advertisement

This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program,
an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn
advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com or its affiliates.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.