Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 07-27-2015, 08:40 PM

Default Can this be saved?

Last week I was happy to report that I went back to get the #4 Slant Griswold. Now that it's cleaned up and seasoned twice, I am sad to report that I had went back to get it after all. It is a LOT rougher than I thought. I just don't know what I was thinking it would clean up to be. You know the old saying, "You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig". This little Griswold is a pig. The cooking surface feels like sandpaper. The factory finish is nearly gone everywhere on the cooking surface and half of the handle. Is there any good way to try and bring this back to a usable state? I know the value is already shot but want to try something. Any idea what caused this?

[
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Can this be saved?

My Griswold #6 dutch oven's insides had that look to it. After I removed the black paint. I can only guess cooking a lot of acidic food, but the erosion on mine was not as splotchy as that.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:16 PM

Should I just leave it like it is? Is there still any collector value left in it? Anyway to sand the cooking surface to make it more usable?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:17 PM

It's not perfectly clear from the pictures, but it looks like the corrosion is above the plane of the original surface. If this is the case, it means that all of the corrosion hasn't been removed. I would suggest more time in the e-tank followed by a moderately aggressive scrubbing, like with a handheld stainless steel brush, or a "chore-boy" type scrubbing pad. Then followed up by some #0000 steel wool. I have seen something like this when I didn't run a piece long enough or scrub well enough.

I it is pitting instead of above the plane of the original finish, well I guess that there isn't much that can be bone without altering the the original surface.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Site Admin

Conventional methods aren't going to fix it. Maybe something like that youtube guy and his grinder on a new Lodge skillet might, but that may devalue it even more.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:42 PM

ShawnE, in the second picture, the shiny places around the pour spout is the original surface. Everything else is below the factory surface plane.

It spent a couple days in lye, 24 hours in etank. Scrubbed hard with SS scrubber pad then steel wool. It then went back into etank for 24 hours followed by more scrubbing. Finally gave up and turned to seasoning thinking it would start to fill in.

I didn't really buy it to keep. I thought I was going to clean it up and flip it. I don't want to hurt the value anymore than it is.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:48 PM

Ok, it is pitting then. It wasn't clear from the pictures as they aren't in 3d

Not much you can do to make it smooth without removing some of the original surface to make it even with the bottom of the pits.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:50 PM

Thanks guys.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:54 AM

Shawn R

Watch this Youtube clip abour smoothing the cooking surface. He doesn't use power tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mbv0_npHNg

What does the bottom of the pan look like?
Old 07-28-2015, 06:23 PM

The bottom looks pretty good and sits flat. The bottom of the handle has some of the same problems as the cooking surface.

I think I'm going to list it on an online auction and see what happens. If I can't get my money back as it is, I may try to do some resurfacing work.