Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 04-29-2015, 09:47 AM

Default Re: First Shot at E-tank

I bet the whole line-of-site thing isn't optimal when stripping a deep item like this. If you had the anode as a rod down into the item, I wonder if that would be better.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedW View Post
I bet the whole line-of-site thing isn't optimal when stripping a deep item like this. If you had the anode as a rod down into the item, I wonder if that would be better.
Yeah, it's probably not optimal, but I do have it hanging on it's side, so it could be worse.

I have other DO's to do, so I may see about getting a piece of rebar down inside and nearer the cooking surface...I'm sure I could rig something with a little thought.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:09 AM

If you experiment with a rod down in the kettle, I sure hope you post more pics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAPHITE-PLA...item3f310aa242

Graphite "rods" - I might pick up a batch
Old 04-29-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedW View Post
If you experiment with a rod down in the kettle, I sure hope you post more pics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAPHITE-PLA...item3f310aa242

Graphite "rods" - I might pick up a batch
Sure, I'll put my experiment and results up if I try that out. If it makes a big difference, I may pick up some graphite rods as well...but I have scrap rebar laying around, so I think I'll play with it and see how it goes before I put more money into this setup.

I know it's not apples to apples comparison, but the price is right
Old 04-29-2015, 12:52 PM

I picked them up. I have a new Gris muffin pan that I may try this out with.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Site Admin

The "line of sight" thing is not as literal as it is sometimes made out to be. With a single anode, both sides will see release of build up and conversion of rust, just not as fast or as well on the away side. Most things can be hung or positioned for even internal surfaces to adequately face the anode. Hanging anodes inside a piece is usually only necessary for very large pieces that can't be put in the average e-tank.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:09 PM

I'll play around with this and report back.

With the concern about ghosting or shadows in e-cleaned pieces, seems the line of site thing might possibly benefit from rods.

I've never done this, but have collected the thoughts and feedback from folks. Again, I'll post my findings.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:03 AM

I had a bit of a set back in the seasoning process.

Here's what it looked like after a good scrub with steel wool. It's still wet here, which makes it look better than it really is, but still...it's pretty clean.

http://i.imgur.com/XyY9vfh.jpg

I dried it in a low oven and then did my normal crisco seasoning process (wipe on layer on warm iron, then into oven at 300 for 15 minutes. Take out and aggressively wipe down all surfaces, then back in oven for 2 hours at 400. Let the oven and piece cool to room temperature together after 2 hours is up).

I set the oven to turn off after a couple hours, and went to bed. When I checked this morning, it has clearly has some rust in the pitting on the cooking surface.

Exterior: http://i.imgur.com/DQ0JNEt.jpg
Interior: http://i.imgur.com/QcFg8yw.jpg
Interior close up: http://i.imgur.com/o0oPocE.jpg (looking down into the DO, perspective on this picture can be hard if you don't know what you're looking at)

I wondering if maybe I didn't get enough crisco down into the pits on the cooking surface, and then that rust is flash rust because it's bare iron there. I'm not sure. It was harder to season because the surface is a bit rough, so it was eating up my shop towels and leaving lint behind.

If this is flash rust, then hopefully I can season again and be ok. I'm thinking maybe I'll try applying with a towel or rag instead of show towels...hoping they would stand up to the rough surface better.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, or has dealt with a similar problem, I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!

Also, as an aside, I knew this piece would be pitted because of the huge amount of rust I was starting with. But honestly, it's not as bad as I expected it to be. I figure this will be mostly a deep fry pot anyway, so it shouldn't matter much.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Site Admin

A cheap natural bristle paint brush works well at getting oil into things like cornstick pans and waffle iron. Should do the same on pits.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:16 AM

I'm curious what folks have to say, since I know zero. I'm amazed how good it looks, FWIW