Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 02-27-2015, 01:36 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Crisco vs Flax seed oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougH View Post
Getting a bit off topic, but I'm curious if you ever have any problems/concerns with glass and the hot grease pouring in. I only started saving bacon drippings recently, but I'm using an old coffee can specifically because I wasn't sure the glass jar would be safe with the quick heating from the grease.
Let the first batch of grease cool in the pan before pouring into a glass container. Subsequent additions of hot grease will have their heat absorbed by the previous drippings.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2015, 02:37 PM

I usually sit down and eat my meal and give the grease a chance to cool down a little before I poor it in. Also, the older Ball jars (much like cast iron) were better made. I am a big fan of german potato salad so saving the bacon drippings is a must for me.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:40 PM

Hi All!
I hope all is well,

I have been seasoning with beef tallow (100% Lard)-- The reason I do this is that I do whatever possible to stay away from Crisco or anything containing Partially Hydrogenated Oils (PHOs) partially because of the health effects, but secondly there is a likelihood they they will be removing PHO's Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) status- and then removing from the market.

After I let the pieces fully cool, I wipe down the pieces with olive oil to finish.

The other good part is it makes my house smell like hamburgers, which is always a benefit

-J
Old 02-27-2015, 11:39 PM

I have about 4 qt. containers in the freezer that hold rendered out beef tallow. Find all sorts of use for it, from time to time. Get fat free from local supermarket and then render it out a big cast iron pot outside. Never used it for seasoning CI. Crisco is my goto. Tried the beeswax and it worked beautifully. Question about all this is, "If the material polymerizes at 425 to 450 degrees, what does it matter what it is?" If it polymerizes, it polymerizes, in my mind. Maybe some more experienced members can straighten this out for me, dunno. What is better?-->What works for you in your experiences, experiments and use, is my answer.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:14 AM

Is this the "flaking" people talk about with flaxseed?

I don't see any actual flakes, but after cooking I'm finding clouds of missing seasoning on my flaxseed-seasoned pans...

Happened to my Griswold LBL #8.

Happened to my Renfrow Ware DO:

Happened to my AB&I #15:

At first I thought it was just changing the color (for the better - grayer rather than brown/red under the seasoning), but after my #15 started rusting where the food touched it, it was obvious that the seasoning is disappearing.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:36 PM

I've used flax or Crisco as the seasoning on pretty much all of my pans. The one exception was a Gris that I hit with coconut and then topped off with Crisco.

As far as "flaking" goes, I noticed it happening on a couple of my pans when I used flax seed. I stripped them again and repeated the process. I've had no problems with them since. But yeah, flaking does occasionally happen with flax seed, it seems.

Even with that, flax seed oil gives a really nice surface to cook on. If done right, your pan is like glass pretty much right off the bat. I can't overstate that. At least in my experience.

If you use flax seed, ramp the temp up to 500, then let those babies cool in the oven afterwards (might take several hours) and it provides a very nice base surface.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:59 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but please explain "flax seed" vs "flax seed oil". I've just gotten some flax seed oil, and am wanting to try it out despite the flaking thing.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Site Admin

Terms being used interchangeably. Same as referring to canola oil as canola.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:32 AM

Doh! Thanks, Doug.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:16 AM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This appears to be the refined grapeseed oil being discussed for the first seasoning as well as subsequent?