Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:34 PM

Default First Estate Sale

After poking around antique stores and auction sites for the past month, I figured I'd try my luck at an estate sale on my lunch break today. I looked at a few listings online and found a sale that started today and listed cast iron among the many items available.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but was excited to check it out and try something different. I went into it with low expectations—kind of figured that if there was anything good, the more experienced "pickers" would beat me to the punch.

The sale started at 1pm, so I decided to show up 20 minutes early and sit in my car if I had to. Well, when I got there, there were cars all over the place and a line of people waiting in the street. I was overwhelmed and a little disappointed. I assumed that one of the 20-30 people in front of me would go straight to the cast iron and scoop it all up.

Luckily, there was just one gentleman in front of me looking for a #12, and when he found a crack in the only one there, he left. I had a pile of 7-8 skillets to myself but was kind of flustered as I was looking at them.

There were 3 Wagners, and the rest were 1- and 3-notch Lodges. I picked out a #6 Wagner Sydney O 1056Z (at least, I think it says Z) and headed back to work. You can barely make out the markings, but I'm sure it'll clean up fine once I get it in the lye bath for a few days.

Anyway, here's a pic—I'll post an update once it's all cleaned up and re-seasoned.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2019, 08:32 PM

Default Re: First Estate Sale

It looks like a great find to me. I'm new to vintage cookware but I don't think I'd pass that up.
Rodney
Old 04-28-2019, 10:06 AM

Default Re: First Estate Sale

often those single notch lodges can be excellent pans (and sometimes you'll find an arc 'lodge' buried under the crud... I love those.)