Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Show & Tell

Notices

Show & Tell Share Your Cast Iron Cookware Finds and Restorations

Old 01-21-2019, 10:58 AM

Default Cast Iron Tobacco Cutter

My great grandfather had an old country store in SC. It has sat there for years full of old stuff. My cousins, who Grandpa lived with, had gone through several years and took several things out but I never had. This week I had the opportunity to actually go inside! It was a blast from the past as I walked in I was hit with memories of being in there as a child and seeing him sitting by the old cast iron stove, the candy display counter and others. To my dismay many things still remain and has almost disintegrated due to age and not being kept care of. Iím trying to get them to let me catalog the remains and save what I can. I was given the tobacco cutter he used, several bottle of medicine still in the boxes and never opened. Cough syrups with alcohol and chloroform. 😳 You didnít wake up until your cough was over!LOL! I was also allowed to take an old horseshoe from a wood barrel full of them. Iím going to post a couple of photos of the cutter. Iím wondering if you think I should leave it be, just clean up or strip and oil. My thoughts are lightly clean as much rust off and oil to bring up a shine. I have pictures of the others if interested seeing. It says R-J-R TOB CO. on the circular piece. Brownís Mule on long bottom of cutter. Underneath it is stamped Made by Enterprise MFG Co. Made in USA. There are stamped numbers in different places. Iím sure itís not worth anything monetarily but itís priceless to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01202C1B-6334-46A5-907B-DCF4CFA963DC.jpg (23.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 814DB4A6-E81D-40DD-9CD3-916A34B68018.jpg (22.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 14D1F445-2284-41DE-B487-B088C8688A2A.jpg (22.0 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by DTaylor; 01-21-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Add photos
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2019, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Cast Iron Tobacco Cutter

Nice old tobacco cutter. I'd clean it up exactly as you described. Sounds like a neat old store.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:54 PM

Kevin, any idea how old it might be? The store is a Dream for any type of collector. They’ve stored a bunch of their personal junk that they had no where else to put it but still has many treasures
You wouldn’t happen to know where another site might be or a person here known anything about old iron horse shoes do you? This one looks unusual to me. At the top is a heart with an uppercase H stamped under it. I’m guessing made in Germany since that is stamped on the left side. There is a barrel of them I’m dying to get my hands on. It kills me when people have a store full or whatever full of old things and just let them waste away. I guess I’d classify as a border if I had it! They’ve kept the outside updated but haven’t touched inside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F30BAE94-96C6-4F9F-B0A9-731869C9F775.jpg (24.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg E2A0382F-2CC6-433F-BD66-C54917408E7F.jpg (22.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 5DF4D469-8CBE-49B3-BB7C-FF01DFF2F7DA.jpg (27.4 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by DTaylor; 01-22-2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 01-22-2019, 12:55 PM

Kevin, any idea how old the cutter might be? The store is a Dream for any type of collector. Theyíve stored a bunch of their personal junk that they had no where else to put it but still has many treasures
You wouldnít happen to know where another site might be or a person here known anything about old iron horse shoes do you? This one looks unusual to me. At the top is a heart with an uppercase H stamped under it. Iím guessing made in Germany since that is stamped on the left side. There is a barrel of them Iím dying to get my hands on. It kills me when people have a store full or whatever full of old things and just let them waste away. I guess Iíd classify as a border if I had it! Theyíve kept the outside updated but havenít touched inside
Old 01-24-2019, 02:25 PM

Sorry, no help on the horseshoe(s) or age of the cutter. I see tobacco cutters for sale once in a while, but have never really been interested enough to look into them and don't really have anywhere to display one.