No name skillet

JWey

Just got one that is 10 3/4 inches, stamped made in USA. It is polished, so if I can find out when polished skillets were last made in the USA, I would have some idea of its age.

Anyone know the answer?

John

The three most commonly seen with that designation are Lodge, BSR, and unmarked Wagner. A photo of the bottom, if available, would likely provide an instant answer. Is there a heat ring, and if so, is it notched or unbroken?

The heat ring is unbroken.

I am trying to use a photo sharing website to send you a picture...

John Wey

Is there just a way to post a link to it on Snapseed? Or, if you have it on your computer, and it's not too large, you can use the Upload attachment tab under the post composition window.

I have limited experience with computers, but I believe the photo is available on Google Plus under my name John Wey.

Hmm... that appears to involve having to join or "upgrade" to Google + even to search it. I'm sending you a PM with a special email address to send the photo to as an attachment.

This was made by Birmingham Stove & Range Co. part of what they called their "Century" series. From the "Made In USA" marking, it would be post-early 1960s. If the inside is polished, it would put it earlier in that timeframe than later, but the quality control markings and the centered Made In USA are later than the earliest Century line markings, which were just size and diameter at the bottom with the USA at 12 o'clock.

Thank you Doug.

It is very nicely polished, so probably early 1960's as you say.

The cooking side is very well seasoned, no pits or defects.

What would be fair value?

John

Since BSR doesn't enjoy much in the way of collectible status-- likely due to the minimalist markings and not a lack of quality-- it also hasn't seen any publication in collector guides. I would say BSR quality was always on par with Lodge, so perhaps applying RB values for Lodge of the same era would be apropos. Not having a RB in front of me, I would guess $15-20 if in excellent condition.

You can see some of the other BSR series markings in the No-Name Iron article here:

http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php

Ok. It is a good user. I made a really nice batch of corn bread in it last night.

Thank you,

John

Back