Big Boy 181

D. Linowski

I just restored a Big Boy 181 and want to know the date of manufacture. I completely dismantled it, cleaned off the rust and coated it with Rutland Stove Polish. I then reassembled it with new bolts and Rutland Stove Cement. The original stove bolts were Phillips head so I'm thinking the stove is not all that old. I've seen every part both sides and most have what look like a casting mold number, but nothing I can identify as a date. An example would be, "BB TOP BOWL 1105." But the numbers are different for different parts so I'm thinking they just identify the part. Does anyone know if any of these marks include a date? :cool:

I tried attach photos but can't seem to do that even though the IMG button is there as well as the Photobucket slide button. When I drag or copy paste it takes away the entire posting xcept the photo. There is no "attach" botton like I have on other blogs. In FAQ it said I may have to write the administrator which is just too much hassle for a cast iron blog. :lol:

The IMG tag links to photos on another web server. To attach a photo from your computer, see #5 at the bottom of this post:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2&p=2#p2

Being as the focus of the site is cast iron cookware, there may not be too many members with information on particular stoves, but you never know. Birmingham Stove & Range was started in 1902, so probably within that decade.

Back