Electrolysis Single Item

using graphite helps with this.. .as nothing builds up on the graphite.performance.

Thanks, So you say graphite I've never looked from graphite so can you recommend what to look for? Is there such a thing as a graphite sheet? Depending on the cost it could be a good option then using the typical juice can which costs about $1.50 and I'm not sure how long that will last as I'm just getting started. I did a quick search and see that some golf clubs are made of graphite. So would 1 stick off an old golf club work just a good as 1 juice can with the top and bottom removed and flattened out?

S.S. is another durable option for anodes.
I found 5"x32" s.s. sheet stock scraps at my local scrap yard for about 4 dollars each. They are holding up very well with regular cleaning.

Graphite is a component of the composites used to make what are called graphite clubs and tennis racquets; they are not solely graphite. Look on Ebay for graphite forms. Plates at least one foot square and 1/4 - 3/8" thick. Any mentioning copper should be avoided.

Thanks Hrodebert & Doug, I will look for those, Our local scrap yards are now closed to the public a few years back someone hurt themselves and took them to court so now because of some dumbsh** they are closed to the public. Great place I'm a welder also and use to buy allot of metal there :(

Be careful with using stainless steel with electrolysis, though. As it dissolves, the coating will put chromium in the water as a biproduct of the electrolysis, which is not good for humans.

The temperatures and voltages used for cast iron cleaning are far lower than those for electroplating, and should not produce the hexavalent chromium hazard of concern in that industry.

So is stainless steel safe?

If so just would like to know as I have that on hand. But if I need Graphite then I would have to go buy some. After I'm done doing the electrolysis. I give the pan a good wash before I start the seasoning process.

Was looking at "High Density Fine Grade Graphite Plate 1/2" thick by 10" x 10" would this be better.

Just looking for some guidance. Lol

Mike

Graphite is superior to other anode choices only in that it doesn't become coated and lose efficiency. Electrolysis will work fine with anything from rebar to coffee cans to lawn mower blades to sheet metal to stainless steel.

Graphite is superior to other anode choices only in that it doesn't become coated and lose efficiency. Electrolysis will work fine with anything from rebar to coffee cans to lawn mower blades to sheet metal to stainless steel.

Thanks Doug!!!!

The temperatures and voltages used for cast iron cleaning are far lower than those for electroplating, and should not produce the hexavalent chromium hazard of concern in that industry.
I see-- good to know that was without merit.

Where do you get your graphite?

Bought it from a guy on eBay named weiverind and I got a piece that was 1/4" x 10" x 10" High Density Fine Grade Graphite Plate. It came as advertised and I have a question for you guys/gals about the electrolysis process. being it's only 10x10 and my skillet probably goes down about 14". Would it be better have a piece of Graphite that was lets say 1/4" thick x 4" x 24"? or does that even matter?

That way it would cover the entire range of the skillet under water. Thanks

Mike

I would either cut it in half or thirds so that you have 2 or 3 strips 10 inches tall. That will give you total coverage of the piece you are cleaning.

Try just using it as is. No need to make it complicated. Concentrate more on creating/maintaining good connections to both pan and anode, and the rest will take care of itself.

Might be a stupid question how often or when do you all change out the water in the E-Tank? I've probably done about 30 pieces of CI in mine and it still seems to work fine.

Back