Griswold 502 Gas Hot Plate

Here's my offering on a Griswold hot plate; a number 183. It's not shown in the Blue Book. It's short on frills but appears to be in good condition. These posts have inspired me to put a little time into it and fire it up!

The burners are two sizes. Don't know if that's a standard thing. The left one is 6 1/2 inches in diameter and the right is 5 1/4 inches.

Attachments

• Gris H:P Side.jpg
    Gris H:P Side.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 44
  • Gris Hotplate 183.jpg
    Gris Hotplate 183.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 53
My brother told me 2 days ago he is sending me a single burner Griswold. I'm so excited to get it, so I'm reading all your awesome posts and suggestions. Thanks! Is there someplace (or posts ) that explain the adjustments for air and gas controls? The only thing my brother told me about it, is that it burns too rich.

Just think of a gas stove. The more you turn the knob, the more gas it lets in.

The only thing you have to really adjust is the amount of air it gets. At medium gas, adjust the air until you get blue flames just like a gas stove and leave/lock it there. It should not have to be moved as long as you use the same type of gas, natural or propane. Changing gas types may require an air adjustment to keep the flames blue.

Hilditch

My brother told me 2 days ago he is sending me a single burner Griswold. I'm so excited to get it, so I'm reading all your awesome posts and suggestions. Thanks! Is there someplace (or posts ) that explain the adjustments for air and gas controls? The only thing my brother told me about it, is that it burns too rich.

You need to chech the burner, it may something inside, spider web,a hornet nest,or some kind of trash,any thing inside will make black marks on skillets.and then when is clean adjust the air.

Back